Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does my kapton tape have teflon in it?

Posted by skynetprinter 
Does my kapton tape have teflon in it?
April 19, 2015 11:24AM
I bought some Kapton tape and the ABS doesn't stick very well to it, even at 100'C, even a 4x4 cm print warped a bit, and the skirt slides straight off of the tape as if it was not stuck on very well.

i think the Kapton has PTFE on it?
Re: Does my kapton tape have teflon in it?
April 19, 2015 11:30AM
Check the actual temperature with a thermocouple. Also make sure you are leveling/zeroing the bed properly. Wipe the tape down with acetone on a clean rag before printing.
April 19, 2015 01:33PM
it's above 100 degrees, the distance is fine, the kapton tape is so unsticky, the print comes off with very little effort. i degreased it with acetone. in terms of stickiness it's a joke. i'm going to get some PE tape, the kapton i have is same as ice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 01:34PM by skynetprinter.
April 19, 2015 01:35PM
What nozzle temperature are you using and how fast are you printing the first layer?
April 19, 2015 02:22PM
try a glass plate with ABS Juice....

A mixture of ABS pieces and Acetone. Been using it a lot and its been working fine.
April 19, 2015 02:59PM
nozzle is at 240. it sticks better with abs juice, except it depends on the glass, some are completely immune to ABS.

I will have another go with glass and hairspray and abs juice, i just recently got the heatbed to 110.
April 21, 2015 10:22AM
Did you buy *good* Kapton or the cheapest stuff on ebay? Real Kapton tape is not cheap or easy to find on sites like ebay due to the 800 other listings from china that are likely just orange packing tape.

Please add your printer design to [reprap.org]
April 21, 2015 12:36PM
I'm using 6 1/2" kapton tape with no problems. The bed's actual surface must be 95 to 100C and the extruder calibration set correctly. I have auto bed leveling (actually should be called auto extruder calibration). See this video:

[www.youtube.com]

Read the comment for the slic3r settings. Also, you may have a problem with the filament you are using - try a different brand.

I've done a bunch of prints on a single application of the kapton tape. It works best on aluminum, applied with Windex like plastic lettering. I use a narrow strip of heavy paper on the edges of the tape and it can be removed from the aluminum fairly easily - the kapton welds to glass and is very hard to remove.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login