Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

0 volts to hot bed and hot end from ramps 1.4 -=SOLVED=-

Posted by lunarkingdom 
0 volts to hot bed and hot end from ramps 1.4 -=SOLVED=-
April 19, 2015 01:50PM
Hey guys I have 0 volts to hot bed from ramps 1.4 with marlin firmware on a new install, all I need it to do is give me 12 volts for my second power supply relay but after I turn it on via pronterface it says on the lcd it is 17c and 110c is not it's goal the ramps 1.4 board is putting out 0 volts where there should be bang bang 12 volts for the heat bed. Anyone know if this is a PWM vs PID thing or have any suggestions? This is my first time configuring marlin and it has been a learning curve so far but not too bad.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 10:31PM by lunarkingdom.
Re: 0 volts to hot bed from ramps 1.4 with marlin firmware
April 19, 2015 03:21PM
Do you have power to both inputs?
April 19, 2015 04:15PM
sure do! Wiring is correct as per this image:

[reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 04:16PM by lunarkingdom.
April 19, 2015 06:37PM
Does the led come on when you set the heatbed. You mention a relay? Where is that in the setup and what kind? Does your hotend heat up?
April 19, 2015 09:13PM
This is my hotbed:

[www.ebay.com]

This is my relay:

[www.ebay.com]

I am using a separate power supply for just the hotbed, I have connected the hotbed out from the ramps 1.4 board to the relay but the ramps board does not output any voltage from the hotbed positive and negative, it reads zero on my volt meter, everything else I have gotten working but this, x, y,z and extruder steppers work, I am about to try a hotend to see if it works. I am a noob at setting up the marlin firmware this is my first time so I assume that I as of yet do not grasp how to set up my hotbed in marlin.
Re: 0 volts to hot bed and hot end from ramps 1.4 with marlin firmware
April 19, 2015 09:21PM
Dang, I just tried the hotend, same deal, I read 12.06 volts on both ramps inputs (green plug) and 0 volts on both hotbed and hotend outputs. I have tried activating them in pronterface as well as with the lcd screen controller, they both set the temp to whatever I set it to but the ramps board does not output any voltage.
April 20, 2015 07:52AM
cat.farmer
Does the led come on when you set the heatbed/ hotend.?
April 20, 2015 08:33AM
What's the voltage from the + terminal from either the hot end or heated bed to the - terminal of the main power connectors?
April 20, 2015 10:05AM
alan richard
cat.farmer
Does the led come on when you set the heatbed/ hotend.?

I did not put led's on the hotbed but how many led's light up with 0 volts anyways? There are no led's on the hotend.
April 20, 2015 10:12AM
cdru
What's the voltage from the + terminal from either the hot end or heated bed to the - terminal of the main power connectors?

BINGO!

This man deserves a medal, the positive sides of both the hotend and hotbed are working, it is the negative side that does not. Anyone know what to look for on the ramps board if the negative is not working on this connector?
April 20, 2015 11:17AM
If you have 12V on both the positive rails of the hotend and hotbed, then I would check your ground connection as I would have thought the system has a common ground. If you have a multimeter, turn off all the power to the system and use the continuity function (commonly labelled as the diode checker), it should beep when there is a short. This will allow you to check the ground return.
April 20, 2015 01:18PM
I have a dumb question, can ground be shorted out? I would think it is more likely a broken trace or cold solder joint, either way if I can not find it it hurts nothing to put a jumper on the backside of the board from where ground comes into the board as long as it will not get into the way of the arduino shield board connections. Either way, I am glad this will be fixed once I work on it this evening after work, thanks guys for all your input!
April 20, 2015 01:30PM
Ground cannot be shorted out, you do get digital and analog grounds on some circuits and they are isolated for noise, but they will often share a common ground point and you do also have some electronics isolated from others via opto-couplers or transformers, so these would also not share the same ground. Cars generally have their chassis as ground.

I am not familiar with the wiring loom on the printers as new to 3D printing, but if you can post a schematic of your circuit I can give you some pointers where to test. Using the multimeter in continuity mode will easily find most basic wiring faults, just turn the power off or you will get false positives and potentially cause other issues!
April 20, 2015 02:27PM
lunarkingdom
This man deserves a medal, the positive sides of both the hotend and hotbed are working, it is the negative side that does not. Anyone know what to look for on the ramps board if the negative is not working on this connector?
RAMPS switches the negative leg. I'd measure for continuity from the - D10 connector to the drain pin, the source pin to the power - connector, and the D10 pin from the Arduino to the gate pin. Make sure all those are good.

The LEDs on the RAMPS board will light up even when there isn't anything attached to D8-D10 but they are turned on. They will indicate that the MOSFET is being switched on and the basic circuit should be working. If the continuity tests out good above and the LEDs don't light, then you have bad MOSFETs most likely. If the LEDs light but you have no continuity, then I'd look at the connectors, traces, or solder joints.
April 20, 2015 06:09PM
I did not see any led's on the board illuminate when it was on, my stepper motors all work though if that means anything, cold solder joint on the 3 mosfets are suspect then? I will chase it down with the multimeter when I get home in a few hours, thanks!
Re: 0 volts to hot bed and hot end from ramps 1.4 -=SOLVED=-
April 20, 2015 10:35PM
Got home and took a close look at the mosfets and the big yellow rectangular square fuse things forget what they are called and they had crappy soldering jobs so I reflowed them with a little flux and some solder and BAM all is well in ramps board town ;-) thank you guys for the help!!!!
Re: 0 volts to hot bed and hot end from ramps 1.4 -=SOLVED=-
April 20, 2015 10:36PM
The 2 red led's are working now too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login