Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Convert E3D direct to bowden

Posted by Yellobello 
Convert E3D direct to bowden
May 06, 2015 04:54AM
Hi!

I was just tempted to buy an e3d spare part for my 3mm direct hotend to convert it into a bowden hotend.
Just the heatsink is required for this.

After some thinking and having some bowden snap-fits here I came to the conclusion that it would be very easy
to cut a m4 thred into the e3d direct hotend´s heatsink and put the snap-fit on it.
This way I could use it as a bowden hotend and I don´t see any reason why it should not work this way.
Also, by removing the snap-fit again I still could use it as a direct hotend since the 3mm m4 thread would not really
have any contact with the filament when I would use it directly on the extruder.

What do you thinK? any reasons against this idea?
Re: Convert E3D direct to bowden
May 06, 2015 12:43PM
Wouldn't be easier just to print a top adapter? I'm using an Hexagon that I purchased as direct drive in a bowden setting and I just designed a top piece which I use to screw the fitting.
May 06, 2015 08:47PM
a 3mm hole inside a 4mm thread isn't going to work out very well if at all as the wall thickness will be very thin , i would recommend tapping a M6 thread instead , M6 pushfits are also easier to get hold of

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

May 07, 2015 05:18AM
And it should be a 3.2mm or better 3.5mm hole since some filaments are more than 3mm.. that won´t work well inside an m4 thread.. you are right. That would be 100microns wall thickness smiling smiley

But generally speaking.. why does the original e3d 3mm bowden hotend have a PTFE liner? The direct one does not have this "feature" or better said anti-feature since the idea is an all-metal hotend.

@ggherbaz: how does your printed part look like? something similar to this:
https://stoutwind.de/extruder-coldends-hotends/25-rampage-bowden-thread-mount-befestigungsplatte.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2015 05:19AM by Yellobello.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login