Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

is endstop necessary?

Posted by totorovirus 
is endstop necessary?
May 14, 2015 10:49PM
I am planning to use Marlin/RAMPS for the printer firmware and I just found out some vendors sell a complete kit with mechanical endstops included.

But are these necessary to run Marlin on RAMPS? In other words, does Marlin support RAMPS running without mechanical endstops?

I've built my xyz cartesian machine without really considering mechanical endstops and I am not really willing to install endstops.

I understand that endstops are for getting the initial position of xyz without human interaction. So if I always set xyz to 0 in the beginning, wouldn't that be ok for firmware to run stepper motors afterwards?
Re: is endstop necessary?
May 15, 2015 02:56AM
Endstops are not compulsory on any Prusa but they are a real convenience and for the cost (approx. $3 for three mechanical endstops), most people don't hesitate to install them.

Marlin does not force you to install endstops.
May 15, 2015 03:47AM
Thanks for your reply smiling smiley
May 15, 2015 04:06AM
when you accidently home z, you will be thankfull of a z endstop

As driving your hotend threw your print bed is an expensive mistake

So I will advise that you have a Z endstop if nothing else.
May 15, 2015 11:59AM
I would imagine you would have to tweak your gcode before you print?
After reaching the correct temps the printer will home via the endstops, then print

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
May 15, 2015 02:40PM
SteveRoy
I would imagine you would have to tweak your gcode before you print?
After reaching the correct temps the printer will home via the endstops, then print
Such homing is likely just done in the pre- or post-print gcode and is easily removed.

As Dust said though, expensive mistakes can easily happen. I'd design things so that if you decide to still not use end stops that something solid prevents expensive mistakes For a z-axis for instance, a solid bracket that would prevent the x-axis from lowering more than a mm or two past the normal level of the hot bed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login