Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z Axis Problem

Posted by Gary Riding 
Z Axis Problem
July 08, 2010 08:35AM
Hey Reprapper's,

I am currently having a slight problem with my Z Axis and was wondering it anyone know how to reslove this problem ?

The problem is when printing the z axis is moving up 5mm for each layer , but the value set under "Extruder0_ExtrusionHeight(mm)" in the reprap software is "0.3"

Does anyone know why this is happening ?

Gary
Re: Z Axis Problem
July 08, 2010 08:46AM
Could you tell us a bit more about your setup? Which machine are you using, which host software and which firmware?

First step for debugging would probably be to direct the generated G-code not to the machine, but into a file and look there which Z movements are sent to the machine. If the Z movements are actually commanded in 0.5 mm steps, there's something wrong with the host software or it's settings.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 08, 2010 09:03AM
"Extruder0_ExtrusionHeight(mm)" is only used for generating the GCode!
What you need is the STEPS_PER_MM in the firmware for the z-axis.
In the RepRap Host Move the Z-axis 1mm in the + direction.
How far does the Z-axis actually move?

See the axis calibration page in the RepRap wiki.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 08, 2010 11:09AM
Hi Guy's

I am very new to this stuff so bare with me .... haha smiling smiley ....... The machine i am using is a "mendel" .. And i got my controller's from iprint3d ... he say's they where programmed using the latest "stable" version of firmware .. i am also using reprap's software from the file " reprap-mendel-20100702.zip " Not sure if that helps ?.... :s

When i use the 1.0 nudge option in "XYZ" to move the z axis, i notice it only moves 1mm which is correct, but after creating and printing from gcode the layering is moving the z axis 5mm.

Here is a copy of the gcode for the 2nd layer :

;#!LAYER: 2/45
M107 ;cooler off
G4 P20 ;delay
G1 F5.0; feed for start of next move
G1 Z0.15 F30.4 ;z move
G1 Z0.3 F5.0 ;z move
G1 F1500.0; feed for start of next move
G1 X1.9 Y2.1 F3000.0 ;horizontal move
G1 X74.1 Y81.9 ;horizontal move
G1 X76.0 Y84.0 F1500.0 ;horizontal move
G1 F18000.0; feed for start of next move

Gary
July 08, 2010 03:50PM
Looks like firmware isn't working properly. rhmorrison's link shows the right procedure to get this fixed.

However, I think FiveD firmwares wants the STEPS_PER_MM value not in the host software's preferences, but compiled into the firmware directly. So you need to get the Arduino IDE. Inside your Zip file there should be a directory mendel/firmware/FiveD_GCode/FiveD_GCode_Interpreter. How to further proceed is described here.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 09, 2010 05:36AM
Did you buy the MIDI or MAXI version of the Motherboard from iPrint3D?

The MAXI is MakerBot design whereas the MIDI is the RepRap design.

Are you sure they programmed the RepRap FW and not the MakerBot FW (they are different you know)? smiling smiley

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
July 09, 2010 08:17AM
I got the MIDI version from IPrint3d, which came ready made and pre-programmed... Is there any way i can find out which version of firmware has been programmed onto the motherboard , and will i have to re-program the extruder controller too ?

Gary
July 09, 2010 08:32AM
If they programmed if for MakerBot, then YES.

It is very easy to program both the Motherboard and the extruder.
Just properly attach the serial cable to the board and use the arduino software to compile and upload the software.

It is all well documented in the wiki.

The tip that was the most use to me was when you want to upload press and hold the reset on the desired board when you press the upload button and as soon as you see the line of text that it is being uploaded release the reset button.
Since following this tip it uploads without any problems each and every time.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
July 09, 2010 09:14AM
You know where it says " Download and install Arduino software, then download the Sanguino extensions from Zach's Sanguino site. " well which file do i have to download ? Would it be " Sanguino-0018r2_1_4.zip " ?

And would you recommend i use the latest's firmware from " reprap-mendel-20100702.zip " ?

Gary
July 09, 2010 09:21AM
I am using a special mix from Stoffel15 which is at least a month or two old.
I was having problems getting the extuder controller to use the pot for controlling the stepper motor PWM.
If you want to use SkeinForge then I wouldn't use the latest version, otherwise it should be no problem.

In other words, if you use the RepRap host to generate the GCode then you should be able to use the newest zip file without any problems.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
July 09, 2010 10:13AM
Ok... i have downloaded the Arduino software, And download the Sanguino extensions into ardunio's hardware folder so it looks like this : C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\arduino-0018\hardware\Sanguino

It then ask's to copy the configuration.h.dist. and create a new file called configuration.h .. which i done

Then i run the Arduino Development Environment and load up the sketchbook mendel/firmware/FiveD_GCode/FiveD_GCode_Interpreter/FiveD_GCode_Interpreter.pde. and i see the new configuration.h file shows in a tab.

But the part am very confused about is where it says " read through the file. It is extensively commented and gives instructions on what to do to configure the firmware for your particular RepRap setup. "

Which parts do i need to change ? and what will i need to change them to ? I am so new to this... and so confused haha spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Gary
July 09, 2010 10:45AM
If you are using the standard Gen3 electronics with a Mendel then you shouldn't have to change anything!

X, Y and Z_STEPS_PER_MM as well as whether they are inverted and whether the opto endstops are inverted are the most obvious parameters that must be set properly. As already mentioned, if using the MakerBot Gen3 electonics modified for RepRap and the standard Mendel with 200 step stepper motors and gears as specified then it should work as is. I'm at work at the moment so I don't want to take the time to peruse the configuration.h to see if there are any other important values.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
July 11, 2010 12:36PM
Ive uploaded the latest firmware to the motherboard... which has solved the problem... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login