Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OctoPrint vs PrintToPeer vs PrinterOS

Posted by jessicabrenner 
OctoPrint vs PrintToPeer vs PrinterOS
May 24, 2015 02:55PM
I'd like to control my printer over WiFi. OctoPrint, PrintToPeer, and PrinterOS all can allow this.

Additionally, I want these features as well:
- move in X, Y or Z, preheat bed/extruder
- upload either gcode or STL file
- start a print
- Camera view

Does anyone know if any of these CANNOT do this? OctoPrint says it can. PrintToPeer looks like it does, but I'm not sure about PrinterOS.

Do any support multiple camera views?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2015 02:55PM by jessicabrenner.
Re: OctoPrint vs PrintToPeer vs PrinterOS
May 24, 2015 03:22PM
Does anyone know for any of these if I'd be able to send a link to a friend to allow her to view the print?
May 26, 2015 08:37AM
jessicabrenner
Does anyone know if any of these CANNOT do this? OctoPrint says it can.
I can confirm that OctoPrint can do all of those things. While OctoPrint can slice using the Cura engine (and possibly others?) if you like to tweak slicing settings for individual prints I think you'll be disappointed since the configuration is file-based. If you set it and forget it with slicer settings, then it might work well although slicing speed is going to be a slower than most modern computers.

Do any support multiple camera views?
With OctoPrint itself, it only supports one camera view out of the box. However the camera view really is bolted on and is actually just displaying images served up from a separate web cam service. In theory you could spin up multiple processes for multiple cameras. You'd need to modify the source code if you wanted to switch between cameras, or you could just create your own webpage outside of OctoPrint that showed just the camera views. Combining images to form a time lapse also would only be for a single view out of the box but again you could hook up something outside of OctoPrint if you really wanted to.

Does anyone know for any of these if I'd be able to send a link to a friend to allow her to view the print?
Yes, although they would need to be on your network or you'd need to port forward the necessary ports through your firewall to give her access.
May 28, 2015 02:16AM
Thanks for the response cdru. I like to tweak prints a lot, so maybe its not a great option right now. But, maybe I could do the slicing on my own computer, then just send the gcode over the internet to the printer.

As for multiple camera views, I tried 3DprinterOS and it does support multiple views. Currently though, there is a 3 second lag and the frame rate is 1 per second or worse. Thats with one cam or two connected. I don't need both views simultaneously by the way.

I also noticed a couple others - AstroPrint and Repetier Server, I'll have to research those, but if anyone already knows if they can support multiple camera views with little tweaking, please chime in.
May 28, 2015 08:53AM
jessicabrenner
But, maybe I could do the slicing on my own computer, then just send the gcode over the internet to the printer.
That's exactly what I do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2015 08:53AM by cdru.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login