Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Attaching skirt to brim in slic3r

Posted by foul_owl 
Attaching skirt to brim in slic3r
June 03, 2015 12:05AM
Hi folks.

I'm trying to print a full height skirt to prevent delamination, as described here:
[reprap.org]

However, after about 10 mm of height, the skirt pops off the heated plate. Attaching it to the brim would work perfectly. I have tried setting skirt distance to 0mm, but it isn't attached to the brim, it's about 1mm away. I have tried various brim widths, 5mm, 10mm, etc.

Any thoughts?

Having to add the skirt and brim manually is not really a good option, since I don't know the dimensions and origin of the stl I am printing, since I am using OpenSCAD for modeling and it does not show dimensions. (It would also be a HUGE waste of time for something that is supposed to be programmatic.)

Thanks!!
Re: Attaching skirt to brim in slic3r
June 03, 2015 01:45AM
If you've been trying brims that wide and they still don't adhere there is an issue elsewhere. A skirt and brim are two different concepts and not designed to be used as a single unit. You can print a skirt to equalize your hot end and you can print a brim to hold your parts down (or use both) but they aren't meant to be joined as a single unit.
June 03, 2015 02:02AM
My brims definitely stick, but the skirt itself doesn't stick. I have tried skirts of 3-5 mm, but any larger than that seems like a waste of filament.

If the skirt was attached to the brim, it would definitely stick.

Thanks!
June 03, 2015 03:03AM
Slic3r has a parameter to set the distance between the skirt and the print. What happens if you set that to zero?

I tried a full height skirt when I was printing ABS but it didn't help. The skirt itself delaminated. What worked for me was using Kapton tape to prevent the hotend fan from blowing air around the nozzle, and putting 2 plastic bags over the printer to keep draughts out and create a warmer environment.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login