Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y axis randomly shifts in one direction when printing

Posted by Neb4328 
Y axis randomly shifts in one direction when printing
July 08, 2015 08:23PM
So I recently finished building a Prusa i3 from hictop with a MK base V1.3 board and the problem I have been having is that, since the very first print, all prints have a series of layers that continually shift forward. After a certain amount of layers shift it will start printing perfectly again but from the most recent shifted layer. Most of the time this happens on the first couple layers but does repeat itself throughout a print and, as far as I can tell is random. Below is a list of things I have tried to do to solve the problem
-Lower the acceleration to multiple different values, all the way down to the lowest value 500mm- this seems to make the shifts and the amount of continual shifted layers decrease.
-Lower the xy jerk value to different values, again all the way down to the lowest value
-tighten the belt, I am almost 100% positive it is not slipping
-lubricate the rods
-The Y-axis motor never gets above skin temperature but still I placed a fan directly by it
-Reduce printing speed

Basically what I found is that when I use the LCD screen to auto home the printer, then use the prepare settings in the LCD screen to move the Y axis board forward, when I try to use bring the board back to the endstop position the LCD screen still says I have 4-11mm left to go, ranges depending on how far or the amount I move the bed.
Please help as this problem is extremely frustrating and I have yet to get one good print sad smiley
Attached are images of some of my prints(I usually cancel the print once I see it start to shift) Oh and I am trying to print a four leaf clover
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0707.JPG (78.5 KB)
open | download - IMG_0708.JPG (104 KB)
Re: Y axis randomly shifts in one direction when printing
July 08, 2015 09:16PM
Make sure the pulley on the motor is screwed down tight. Take off the Y axis belt and push the bed back and forth. It should move easily and smoothly throughout its range. You may have an intermittent connection between the driver and the motor- check the wiring carefully.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the discrepancy between the bed position and the LCD reading. The firmware doesn't read the encoder very quickly and it is easy to spin it too fast for Marlin to keep up.
July 08, 2015 10:04PM
Can you explain further about the connection between driver and the motor, sorry Im new at 3d printing :/
July 08, 2015 10:07PM
the_digital_dentist
Make sure the pulley on the motor is screwed down tight. Take off the Y axis belt and push the bed back and forth. It should move easily and smoothly throughout its range. You may have an intermittent connection between the driver and the motor- check the wiring carefully.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the discrepancy between the bed position and the LCD reading. The firmware doesn't read the encoder very quickly and it is easy to spin it too fast for Marlin to keep up.

Can you explain further about the connection between driver and the motor, sorry Im new at 3d printing :/
July 08, 2015 10:20PM
Neb4328

The wire from the stepper motor to the board.

Not that I am any kind of expert only have made three prints so far but I had even worse shifting that you and it was from the Y axis binding.
July 09, 2015 07:25AM
If you never do it, you must calibrate your stepsticks.
Maybe they are set too high, resulting on an overheating, or too low, then the motor do not have sufficient torque.

Prusa i3 - e3d v5 - Gnu/Linux - Pronterface - Slic3r - Octoprint - Rpi - French
July 09, 2015 03:50PM
kimented_
If you never do it, you must calibrate your stepsticks.
Maybe they are set too high, resulting on an overheating, or too low, then the motor do not have sufficient torque.

Motor never gets hot at all, I don't believe that torque is the issue because when I control the Y axis motor and move it from its end stop position 0mm to practically any other distance greater than 30 when I move it back it hits the end stops 4-11mm before it should. Basically it wants to move farther than it can, same when I try to extend it all the way, hits the other end 3-6mm before it should, Max y-axis movement should be 270mm
July 10, 2015 02:41AM
When I say overheating, I mean that the stepstick may be hot. Do you have an fan over your electronic card? Do you have heatsinks over your stepsticks? When a stepstick is too hot, it will pause briefly and resume, this can cause problems like yours.
I already had a problem like this, it was caused by a defective stepstick, causing some vibrations too. You can try to invert the X and the Y stepsticks to verify. I also have a defective motor on my Z axis... if you can, try with another motor.

Prusa i3 - e3d v5 - Gnu/Linux - Pronterface - Slic3r - Octoprint - Rpi - French
July 10, 2015 09:01PM
by stepstick he means the motor driver on your board.
Cheap motor drivers like the a4984 stepstick cuts out when it gets too hot, placing a heatsink ontop of the chip and a fan blowing on the heatsink will stop this unless youare puting too much current through your motor driver or are trying to move too fast.

have a look at these two pages
[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]

most people with RAMPS boards now use the pololu stepper drivers which can take more current (though around 1 amp you should probably at least use a heat sink)
July 11, 2015 10:47PM
Zerker
by stepstick he means the motor driver on your board.
Cheap motor drivers like the a4984 stepstick cuts out when it gets too hot, placing a heatsink ontop of the chip and a fan blowing on the heatsink will stop this unless youare puting too much current through your motor driver or are trying to move too fast.

have a look at these two pages
[reprap.org]
[reprap.org]

most people with RAMPS boards now use the pololu stepper drivers which can take more current (though around 1 amp you should probably at least use a heat sink)

I don't use a Ramps board I use a MK Base V1.3 board that directly supplies the power for the motors, I am 100% overheating is not the issue as the problem often occurs on the first layer and when I manually move the Y axis on the LCD screen, the board is not at the right distances, as it hits the maximum and minimum distances before it is supposed to, maximum is 270 and hits it at 264-268mm and minimum is 0(duh) and hits the endstop with 4-9mm left to retract.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login