Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Query current fan speed (in percent or whatever)

Posted by D4RK1 
Query current fan speed (in percent or whatever)
November 12, 2015 01:25PM
Hi,

is it possible to display the current fan speed? In essence is there a way to get it via gcode? I am using Octoprint and I guess if there is a way via gcode it can easily be implemented into Octoprint.

I think this would be a nice feature since it is possible to tell the slicer how to adapt the fanspeed during different phases of the print but there is no way to see if it is actually working the way it is supposed to.

Regards, Jens
Re: Query current fan speed (in percent or whatever)
November 12, 2015 02:20PM
To know the current fan speed, you need to use a 4-wire PWM-controllable fan, because the tacho output on ordinary fans doesn't work when you PWM them. Also the electronics and firmware need to read the tacho output and make the speed available. In RepRapFirmware this is implemented and the fan speed is displayed on the web interface. I don't know whether other firmwares support fan tachos,

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 12, 2015 02:26PM
thx for your answer, I think knowing the actual fanspeed in RPM would be a nice gimmick but I´d settle for the "current setting", meaning what command to the fan was sent last so that I can simply monitor how fanspeed is set by the slicer during a print. Is there a way to always display the last (current) fanspeed command?
November 12, 2015 04:07PM
With some firmwares, sending M106 with no parameters will report the current fan setting.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login