Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help me! How to use XBOX 203w psu with Sunhokey Prusa i3

Posted by Xander93 
Help me! How to use XBOX 203w psu with Sunhokey Prusa i3
December 01, 2015 05:51AM
Hello all,

My name is Xander nice to meet you!
I bought a prusa i3 kit from sunhokeytech, fully installed with the led psu (which came with the package) but it burned after 2 uses.
So now i bought a brand new XBOX 360 203w psu and my question is: how to start? and which wires do i have to weld to the black and red wires??

Thank you very much!smiling smiley

Cheers,

Xander
Re: Help me! How to use XBOX 203w psu with Sunhokey Prusa i3
December 01, 2015 06:38AM
Cut the round plug connector off, and attach the yellow (+12V) and black (GND) wires to RAMPS. The other two wires (red 5V and blue power enable) need to be wired together to turn the power supply on. They can be connected through a switch, wired together directly, or the blue wire can be connected to the PS_ON pin on RAMPS and the red to VCC so that RAMPS can control the power supply directly.

Something like this???
December 01, 2015 06:44AM
But be aware that the XBox PSU won't be able to power the hotend and a heated bed together - been there, done that, failed. It will certainly run the printer without the heated bed though.
December 01, 2015 06:53AM
Why is that???
December 01, 2015 08:30AM
David J
But be aware that the XBox PSU won't be able to power the hotend and a heated bed together - been there, done that, failed. It will certainly run the printer without the heated bed though.

I'd say it depends on the amount of current your printing is drawing.
I also would not recommend it BUT truth is I've been running my printer with hotbed for months without any issue.

The cable from the xbox PSU even gets warm but there is no fault or issue with the prints. smiling smiley
(usually keep bed at 65deg Celsius and printing PLA between 205 - 220deg Celsius.)
December 01, 2015 09:28AM
I've been running an Xbox 203W PS for Hotend and Kapton Heater on Heatbed for about 10 months now with no problems. A cheaper PS that puts out a few more watts is a dell da-2 usff ps that does 12V@18A. Its about the same to wiring the xbox one too.
December 01, 2015 10:36AM
Perhaps I should have said "may not work"!

When I tried it, I could run the printer with the heatbed off (normal Mk3 bed), I could put the bed on and it would be OK, but as soon as the motors started running the PSU light would go red and the printer control board would reset. If you add all the power requirements up there's not much of a margin left (120W bed, 25W hot-end, a few Watts for the electronics, quite a few more for the fans, THEN you start the motors...). Add the tolerances that are probably in the PSU and you're probably running near the upper limits, so it may work, or it may not.

I now run a big LED PSU with a huge excess of power available!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2015 10:44AM by David J.
December 01, 2015 10:45AM
David, there are few versions of the Xbox PS, did you have the 203W or the 175W? I also had one that wouldn't even run the Xbox360 for long... So you might have a weak/failing one too... Then again... I could just have a rare strong one... who knows...

I also have a printer running a Mk3, but that one is the one I have the Dell DA-2 USFF PS on. I probably only have 5 months on that one so far... but it's working well...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2015 10:48AM by madmike8.
December 01, 2015 10:47AM
203W - the biggest one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login