Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Glossary

Posted by Jayson 
RepRap Glossary
September 15, 2010 08:33AM
After reading a lot about reprap and the different printers out there i noticed that a lot of the community uses common terms that are unknown to people new to these systems, terms like a stepper, hot end, heated bed, cupcake, PLA, ABS, extruder these terms can be very confusing to those unused to them.

I found out what a lot of these terms mean after digging around for a while but i am good at that, and i appreciate that when posting a comment people in this community will use the terms like these commonly as anyone with any experience will know what they mean.

Yet new people especially ones that don't have much engineering experience will not know what they mean and can be a massive block in trying to learn about reprap.

So i suggest a simple glossary to help people know what these terms mean.

We could start it here? Reply to this post with your entries for a RepRap Glossary. If you see one that is not correct or can explaine it better go ahead.

Heres an example.

ABS - A thermoplastic material which is used in plastic printers from which objects are made from.

Something like the above.

Anyone want to help?
Re: RepRap Glossary
September 15, 2010 09:22AM
Why don't you just directly edit the wiki Glossary page?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 15, 2010 11:08AM
I added a few words to the wiki glossary. But what's the purpose of the "#FdmTerm" tag above the words?

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Andrew Smith
September 15, 2010 11:22AM
I think that was a remnant of when this page was merged from Twiki. I cleaned it out, and reformatted the page to use section headings rather than just bolded text, to make it possible to link directly to specific definitions.
September 15, 2010 05:19PM
Did not see that page on the wiki hmm but its not very complete you know.
September 15, 2010 07:09PM
It's a great idea. Feel free to add to the list, that's the purpose of the wiki. smiling smiley

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login