Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best place in U.S. to buy aluminum extrusion?

Posted by tmorris9 
Best place in U.S. to buy aluminum extrusion?
January 15, 2016 06:59PM
Just looking for the best deal on aluminum extrusion. I am going to build a new heated chamber (mine is currently wood framed) and I want to use 1" aluminum extrusion. Currently the best price I have seen is on ebay (U.S. sellers) for around $8 for a 36" pieces but they get $24 shipping, good news is I need 12 pieces and the shipping only goes up to $35 for all 12 pieces.

Just curious if there is some killer deals out there for this?

Where is your 'go to' extrusion place?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Best place in U.S. to buy aluminum extrusion?
January 15, 2016 11:33PM
I buy my 8020 at a local scrap yard for $2 per lb.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 16, 2016 07:25AM
Inventables has some very reasonable prices and their shipping is fast and cheap

Ray
January 16, 2016 08:57AM
When I want V-Slot for wheels I go to OpenBuilds, for other stuff I go to Misumi USA. Misumi will cut to custom lengths, both Inventables and OpenBuilds sell standard lengths of 500mm, 1000mm, or 1500mm.
January 17, 2016 02:00AM
The_digital_dentist: How does one find this magical scrapyard? That sounds like an awesome deal.
January 17, 2016 08:32AM
Start with a web search. Look for your local scrap yards and pay them a visit. They are always happy to see people who want to buy stuff. Bring cash and some tools. You may have to dismantle whatever it is that has the 8020.

January 17, 2016 04:51PM
the_digital_dentist
Start with a web search. Look for your local scrap yards and pay them a visit. They are always happy to see people who want to buy stuff. Bring cash and some tools. You may have to dismantle whatever it is that has the 8020.

I've looked into scrap yards in my area (NYC), but it seems all of the only buy. Don't sell. Is that typical, or is it just something they don't put on their websites?

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
January 17, 2016 05:04PM
You can't have a business that only buys. If they don't sell, they don't have any money coming in.

January 17, 2016 05:53PM
There is only 1 scrap yard around where I live and they don't have any.

ebay still seems like the best price (Misumi has their website down for 2 days so I have not checked them yet).
January 18, 2016 12:10PM
Fazzios in Jersey. Bring a lunch.
January 20, 2016 07:15AM
"Machined on all 4 sides" is interesting. Machined on all 6 sides would be better, or at least having the ends machined- that way you can bolt them together without any extra hardware and get square corners.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login