Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help me fix this .STL file?

Posted by McSquid 
Help me fix this .STL file?
January 24, 2016 03:12PM
Hi All,

A kind designer on thingiverse modeled a cosplay weapon for me and I am trying to take what he gave me and prepare it to be printed. He gave me a blender file, that I was then able to export STLs from after messing with it for a while. I then brought them into netfabb to scale, since no matter what I do in blender I cant seem to get scaling to stick. Once my files are scaled and error fee I intend to cut them in netfabb down the middle for printing. However In one of the STLs I have an error that I have seen before, but do not know how to fix. it seems like a single point ends up in the wrong place, outside the model and the attached faces are still attached to it. this makes a spear shaped error and causing netfabb to choke on exporting cut files. Netfabb cloud service and/or part repair does not repair this. I have fixed it before manually in sketchup, however this file is too organic in shape for sketchup to handle (hangs on import)

I have netfabb basic, Sketchup, and meshmixer for tools (I also have blender but can barely figure out how to work the camera much less edit things.)
Can someone either fix this file for me (as long as it doesn't take more than 5 minutes) Or tell me how I can fix this? Id really appreciate it

[www.thingiverse.com]
Re: Help me fix this .STL file?
January 25, 2016 05:35AM
So I figured out how to apply the modifiers and join the various parts in blender, then used the 3d print toolbox to remove non manifolds. This, plus netfabb cloud were enough to remove the error that was making things choke. Took a few hours of messing with things to get to this point but it looks good now. Now I just need to find a program to add a few mechanical edits to this organic part and ill be set.
Re: Help me fix this .STL file?
January 25, 2016 01:21PM
Glad to hear you fixed it, I took the opportunity to try the repair settings in simplify 3d last night. While it was able to identify the problem areas, I couldn't make it fix them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login