Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Endstops causing short circuits

Posted by Mumblemore 
Endstops causing short circuits
February 06, 2016 07:08PM
I've just finished assembling and wiring up my Sintron prusa i3 kit.
i uploaded marlin to the arduino, however, i'm having 2 issues.
Firstly, whenever i press the endstops, they cause the smoke to come out of the 2 boards, and make the printer reset,

Secondly, none of the motors move when i try and move them in pronterface
Re: Endstops causing short circuits
February 06, 2016 09:31PM
I'm guessing you are using mechanical (micro-switch) end stops. The end stop connectors have three pins for +v, ground and signal. The +v pin is only used for active endstops and shouldn't be connected to a mechanical end stop. For mechanical just use signal and ground.

We'll need more info to figure out the motors, but let's get the endstops working first.
February 06, 2016 11:22PM
Sadly people get taken in by fancy LED's and buy switch based endstops with leds, these use all 3 pins. Signal, Ground (marked as -ve) and +5v
If you plug them in the correct way around, they work fine. If you plug them in backwards, you short +5v to ground via the closed switch and smoke the voltage regulator.
Sadly there is no key on this connector... so people plug them in any way they want.

If smoke has come out you have probably damaged the 5v regulator on the mega and need to replace it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2016 11:23PM by Dust.
February 07, 2016 08:00AM
Thanks for the reply,

I've unplugged the yellow wire (V+) and it seems to have fixed the endstops, out of curiosity, should they spit out any information into pronterface when pressed or not?
And with the motors, the only error that gets sent out by pronterface is:
"Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)"
February 07, 2016 08:11AM
Mumblemore
out of curiosity, should they spit out any information into pronterface when pressed or not?
Send M119 to get the current status of the enstops

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
February 07, 2016 08:16AM
>>> M119
SENDING:M119
Reporting endstop status
x_min: open
x_max: open
y_min: open
y_max: open
z_min: open
z_max: open
Thats what comes out
February 07, 2016 08:24AM
That''s good if none of the end stops are triggered. Try holding down one of the endstops and sending m119 again, hopefully the status of that endstop will change. Repeat for all the endstops to confirm each one works and is connected to the right pin.

The temperature error probably means that the thermistor isn't connected, or possibly is short circuit, or the firmware thinks there are more thermistors than are actually fitted.
February 07, 2016 09:47AM
The endstops are triggering when i press them, which is good.
i don't think it's the thermistor, because i can't even feel a difference in the temperature in the HBP or hotend after about 10 mins
i even got my gas soldering iron and ran the flame over the bed near the thermistor (not over it, i'm not that stupid) and the temperature of the bed went up (i let it go to 30 degreses C) on both the LCD and in pronterface.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 09:48AM by Mumblemore.
February 07, 2016 10:18AM
Temp errors like that are normally hot end related, does that one read room temp?
February 07, 2016 10:53AM
The bed plate reads room temp (for me it's between 16 and 20C), the hot end shows this:
>>> gettemp
Hotend: 0/0

which i assume is bad, and that it isn't reading the any temperature
February 07, 2016 12:38PM
I've just hooked up the HBP thermistor to the hotend connections (T1) and it is reading temperature, so i assume i've damaged the thermistor somehow, not sure what i could've done to damage it, but nothing can help that now,

Also, i've managed to get the motors to move about, using both the LCD and pronterface, however, they move in the reverse of how they should, is it safe to reverse the connections of the motors on the RAMPS?
February 07, 2016 01:01PM
Mumblemore
I've just hooked up the HBP thermistor to the hotend connections (T1) and it is reading temperature, so i assume i've damaged the thermistor somehow, not sure what i could've done to damage it, but nothing can help that now,

Also, i've managed to get the motors to move about, using both the LCD and pronterface, however, they move in the reverse of how they should, is it safe to reverse the connections of the motors on the RAMPS?

It's better to change the direction (I think the homing direction) in the firmware Turn off all power to the board and motors before this but you can just turn the stepper connectors 180 degrees.
It's only safe to unplug the stepper drivers when the main power is not on. If you do it with power on, you will damage the stepper motors.

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
February 07, 2016 02:26PM
I know that, i'm doing a GCSE in computer science and electronics, but will reversing the way the plug is plugged into the board affect/damage the motor?
February 07, 2016 02:35PM
No, it's an oddity of the way steppers work, but reversing the plugs is a quick and easy way of reversing the direction. It's a bit of a pain in some respects because when you disconnect everything from the ramps board it's easy to get the motors reversed when you reconnect, at which point homing goes badly wrong.
February 07, 2016 03:36PM
Right, I think i've fixed most of the issues now, i think i just had a dodgy connection to the header i used, so i re soldered it and it seems to be fixed.
However, i've tried to get the X-axis to home it self, however, it slids along, but doesn't stop moving, it keeps moving, and i have the turn it off before if damages something, i thought it was because it was reversed, so i flipped the connector, but the same thing happens, even after it hits the endstop.
Any suggestions?
February 07, 2016 03:54PM
Send M119 to get the end stop status, the x one should be high when triggered.
If not check the wiring by touching the two wire connectors together; Send M119 if status is the high then the switch is broken.

You will need to hold the switch closed before sending M119

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 03:57PM by orictosh.

Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
February 07, 2016 04:12PM
I've done that, it isn't an issue with the endstop i don't think, i think it may be searching for the X-Max endstop, which i don't have wired in because i only had enough clips for all axis min positions, will that be an issue?
February 07, 2016 04:20PM
That's ok, it's fairly normal just to have three endstops fitted. You just have to make sure that the direction you configure the firmware to home in matches the endstop you have fitted and the configuration of the endstops in the firmware. i.e. if you fit a min X endstop, you have to configure the firmware to home towards x-min, the endstop has to be plugged into the x-min socket, and the firmware has to be configured to use the x-min endstop. Everything has to match.
February 07, 2016 04:24PM
Ok, no problem.

Could be a problem with the not used end-stops, In the firmware you should see options to disable the x-max and y-max end-stops.
If you are only using min end-stops then ensure that you home in that direction.

On the board just check that end stops you are using are plugged into the x-min pins.
As what you describe sounds is classic "not told to stop" aka end-stop failing and the motor will keep turning.

February 07, 2016 04:42PM
nvm, i fixed the issue by changing the home of the X-axis in Marlin and re-uploading, now i just need to wait for my HBP screws and springs to show up and i can start printing.
Does anyone have any helpful tips for my first print, i'm gonna print a filment holder that'll mount to the top of the frame.
This one: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1300701
February 07, 2016 04:52PM
I'd recommend working through this calibration guide first: [reprap.org] then starting with some very basic shapes, cubes, cylinders that sort of thing to make sure that everything is setup right before leaping in to functional parts. It takes a while to go things dialled in.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 04:53PM by JamesK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login