Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

(Solved) ABS repair? anyone done it?

Posted by pica 
(Solved) ABS repair? anyone done it?
October 05, 2010 02:16PM
I've got a part (x-360-z-bearing-plate_2off.stl) that broke during reaming. It looks like an easy fix, but I thought I'd ask.

What method do you recommend for repair?

Hot glue

2 part Epoxy (5 minute, or standard JB weld?)

ABS glue or ABS solvent thickened, (with all that scrap you have been reaming out of holes) to the level of toothpaste, and glopped in place. (Let dry and shape to suit.)

ersatz plastic welding with some ABS filament and a soldering gun.

other (please describe)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 05:46PM by pica.
Re: ABS repair? anyone done it?
October 05, 2010 03:30PM
My first thought is to use ABS cement, since that is very close to the same application you have. I have not tried it for bonding a broken ABS part, and I do not yet know where to get cement that is not black. But I have used it to mount ABS tabs that I heat formed from ABS pipe to other pieces or pieces of pipe, and the odd shaped joins seem quite solid.

If anyone finds a cheap source for clear or white ABS cement, I would like to here about it and probably buy some.

Mike
October 05, 2010 03:42PM
>..and I do not yet know where to get cement that is not black
>...
>If anyone finds a cheap source for clear or white ABS cement, I would like to here about it and probably buy some.

Well, I'm not choosy on the color, but you should be able to dissolve ABS chips and scrap of any color into acetone, or so I hear, to make a solvent-gel

>But I have used it to mount ABS tabs that I heat formed from ABS pipe to other pieces or pieces of pipe, and the odd shaped joins seem quite solid.

That's an idea, I could probably form a whole new part from scrap ABS pipe and a heat gun and a bastard mill file. I'd try the 5-minute epoxy first.

(I could also complain to my supplier, but I'd have to wait for shipping.)
October 05, 2010 05:46PM
Solved.

I made an ersatz plastic welding gun out of a heat gun and a cone made out of a soft drink can.

I inserted a bolt and some washers to act like a dam for the ABS, although the softened ABS didn't flow very well. I then heated the area with the gun and also heated a length of 3mm ABS rod.

When we got to the "taffy" stage, I squished them together. The part itself got very soft. The bolt acted like a heat reservoir. I had to be careful not to distort the part too much

I made two welds, and let everything cool. I took the bolts out and then reamed them with the drill bit in the vise. That was successful.

I'll post pictures in my blog tonight, and then start a "repair methods" page on the wiki.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 05:49PM by pica.
Re: (Solved) ABS repair? anyone done it?
October 05, 2010 07:58PM
great work!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login