Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Removing 3M 468MP adhesive

Posted by WZ9V 
Removing 3M 468MP adhesive
March 21, 2016 10:26AM
I've tried Goo Gone Pro but it's just not dissolving the 3M 468MP adhesive.

Can someone recommend a solvent that will dissolve the adhesive. I'll trying to cleanup a glass plate for a new layer of PEI but having a devil of a time getting rid of the old adhesive.
Re: Removing 3M 468MP adhesive
March 21, 2016 10:55AM
Acetone, lots of it, and a couple of the kitchen scourers. you have to remove it progressively, ie, bit by bit gradually. Then use kitchen towels with Acetone.

it is useful to use a sharp blade scraper to get the bulk of it off first.
March 21, 2016 04:46PM
Thanks. I have the bulk of it off and now I'm down to film that just won't let go. I'll go at it with scrubbers and Acetone.
March 22, 2016 10:08PM
I feel for you. I just did that a week ago and used heat, acetone, orange oil (same as goo gone) and a scraper. Spent a good 4 hours making the glass usable again and made a major mess in the process. One person mentioned putting it in the freezer for awhile and another mentioned a product called "Rapid Remover" it's made for removing vinyl lettering like on signs and vehicles.

Good luck and wear gloves.
March 22, 2016 10:39PM
There are times when I think maybe I should just buy another glass plate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2016 10:39PM by WZ9V.
December 25, 2016 11:24AM
You people are making things much more difficult than you need to.

3M 468MP (or 3M 200MP) adhesive is easily removed. You just take a blob of Peanut Butter (Creamy... Not Chunky!) and smear a thin layer across the surface to be cleaned. Try to get a 1/16" layer across the entire sheet. Then just wait over night and use a squidgy to remove the peanut butter. And then soap and water to remove the grease and oil from the peanut butter.

I just did a 400mm x 400mm silicon heater pad with only 10 minutes of actual work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2016 11:26AM by Roxy.
December 25, 2016 12:54PM
I've found alcohol to be more effective than acetone.

Simon.

[www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile z-probe plus piezo discs, endstop cables, pt100, 50w heaters. PT1000 cartridge sensors plug straight into duet boards and others.
Published:Inventions
October 25, 2017 04:03PM
Roxy

3M 468MP (or 3M 200MP) adhesive is easily removed. You just take a blob of Peanut Butter (Creamy... Not Chunky!) and smear a thin layer across the surface to be cleaned. Try to get a 1/16" layer across the entire sheet. Then just wait over night and use a squidgy to remove the peanut butter. And then soap and water to remove the grease and oil from the peanut butter.

I just did a 400mm x 400mm silicon heater pad with only 10 minutes of actual work.

You are so right - peanut butter overnight works amazingly well! 98% off with the first pass of my scraper, then a final round with isopropyl to get off the rest. SO much easier (and less toxic) than the last time I did it (2 hour acetone/alcohol ordeal).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 04:04PM by yonkiman.
October 25, 2017 04:31PM
I'll bet is smells delicious the next time you turn on the heater!

Son of MegaMax 3D printer: [www.instructables.com]
Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 25, 2017 05:48PM
really? Peanut butter.....

damn I have my bed soaking in acetone all night right now....

Used a zip lock static bag as acetone does not dissolve it and I can use a much smaller amount of acetone in there.

Still, I have to remember to try this one!!!
October 26, 2017 03:31PM
Alcohol or gasoline works best.

3M also have a gel that is fantastic for most.
Haven't used it for some years. (expensive)

I do work with adhesives every day. (sign and graphics)
I have never heard about peanut butter..

Ill try that next time I have a customer visit.. lol
October 30, 2017 03:07AM
I had the same problem (spent 4 very messy hours first time) then someone mentioned "Rapid Remover" and it works but it needs help in the form of a GOOD razor scraper ( A cheap one will hurt you) and you should be able to clean off all the glue in 10 minutes.'

February 25, 2020 04:10AM
Roxy

Sorry for resurrecting such and old post but I just wanted to give a big thanks Roxy, Peanut Butter works unbelievably well. I thought it was maybe a prank but it was worth 2 TBSP of Peanut butter to find out. Overnight wrapped in Cling Film and the adhesive just scraped right off. A quick wash and scrub in soapy water and its totally clean. 10 minutes work and saved so much hassle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login