Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1st timer

Posted by vimaan 
1st timer
October 20, 2010 05:46AM
Hi guys. I am totally new to 3 printing and I am very interested in doing this myself. PROBLEM! I am way down in South Africa. Spares aint cheap. Where and how do I begin? I can do the designs for the assembly myself using Solid Edge or Solid Works, Inventor.....what ever. Problem is machining or getting the part made from plastic....expensive!!!! Can i use wood?? Suggestions please somebody!!!!!!!!!

Newbie,
Vimaan
(Mech Eng)
Re: 1st timer
October 20, 2010 05:57AM
Here is a link where I have been building one using some parts from old printers and laser cartridges. Initially I have used timber but didn't drill accurately although most would not matter. I intend to replace with plastic before building anything but I am sure you could do it with timebr if you take your time to be accurate. [forums.reprap.org]
October 20, 2010 08:51AM
Thanks for the response. What type of stepper motors did you use, specs and part numbers if you can.
October 20, 2010 09:19AM
I do not have my steppers yet. In Australia we are a bit restricted, as I guess you are.
October 25, 2010 08:09AM
Hi Vimaan

Join the club.
I'm in Port Elizabeth, South Africa and about a month ago I took the plunge and ordered a RepRap Mendel kit from botmill.com

I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival.

It will be great to share thoughts and experiences as the SA RepRap community is still so tiny.

You can email me on brad(at)print3d.co.za
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login