Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Boro glass question.

Posted by Dark Alchemist 
Boro glass question.
March 24, 2016 09:53PM
I finally found out what was my issue on my printer. Remember it worked and slowly stop working then one day just no longer worked and in worked I mean printing good first layers. I tried pads, aluminum plate (heat spreader) replaced the warped (thank you UPS but the new one allowed 3 point leveling) Y frog plate and warped aluminum frame and right in the middle of the bed was bubbled. I always thought it was the MK2B I had which was bubbled so I laid the new heat spreader (at the time) on and it helped but not for long. So I chunked the printer for about 8-10 months in disgust. I just had to replace my Ramps as my MK2B shorted on me on the heat spreader when I went to take a look at this and try and fix it. Lets just say this has been one hell of an expensive journey.

Now the condensed back story is done I just found the last issue that was probably my main issue way back when and that is my Borosilicate glass plate actually has a bulge in the middle. I never knew glass, especially boro glass, could develop a bulge or any deformity after it was produced. Anyone ever hear of this? I know it is the glass as I laid a straight edge on it and could slightly rock it in the middle and I had my old, and smaller, window glass I checked to be sure it wasn't my straight edge and no rocking. I threw it on my bed and 3 point leveled it and I did the paper test and it is fine now.

So, anyone hear of glass permanently deforming like that over time?

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
Re: Boro glass question.
March 24, 2016 10:40PM
Have you been running your bed at 580°C smiling smiley
March 24, 2016 10:42PM
MechaBits
Have you been running your bed at 580°C smiling smiley
LOL, exactly my point.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
March 24, 2016 10:47PM
Dark Alchemist

No, because it didn't. Chances are that it was manufactured that way.
March 24, 2016 11:04PM
Koko76
Dark Alchemist

No, because it didn't. Chances are that it was manufactured that way.
I have to say it may have but I doubt it because I had no issues printing on it at first but it got worse and worse until it just couldn't print anymore in the middle and toward me in the middle.

_______
March 25, 2016 01:34AM
Not saying you are wrong about your glass but I have seen this several times in forums when the real culprit is the X axis rods bowing down from the weight of the carriage. 8mm rods and even 10mm rods suffer from this issue due to the weight of the hotend, extruder and so on, they end up bowing down in the middle which if you strictly going by the nozzle distance can seem like the glass is bowing upward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2016 01:35AM by tmorris9.
March 25, 2016 02:14AM
tmorris9
Not saying you are wrong about your glass but I have seen this several times in forums when the real culprit is the X axis rods bowing down from the weight of the carriage. 8mm rods and even 10mm rods suffer from this issue due to the weight of the hotend, extruder and so on, they end up bowing down in the middle which if you strictly going by the nozzle distance can seem like the glass is bowing upward.
Oh, I know that issue far too well. smiling smiley If I ever ever ever make a new printer that used smooth rods the minimum I would use would be 12mm.

This isn't that issue since I can hold the boro glass and the straight edge and it will rock but not on the window glass AND with the window glass on the bed I don't get that middle bulge and toward me (toward me always was worse).

The issue you are talking about is still here but the paper test (I have feeler gauges I just prefer the paper) the middle is slightly lower but with the boro if it went up just .01mm higher I would have been scraping the glass with the nozzle from the middle forward (when I push the bed away from me in the Y direction) yet everywhere else the paper goes under just fine. It really is a bulging boro by I would say 0.3-0.5mm

_______
March 25, 2016 10:23AM
The glass may have had some stress left in it from the manufacturing process and the heating it up for printing helped relieve it with the end result of it having a bump in the middle.
March 25, 2016 10:29AM
stephenrc
The glass may have had some stress left in it from the manufacturing process and the heating it up for printing helped relieve it with the end result of it having a bump in the middle.
The temp where that happens is somewhere around 1050 farenheit. Unlikely.
March 25, 2016 12:12PM
Yeah, and there are no visible cracks in it and is clear as a bell. Considering the highest I ever had this was 136c Boro considers that actually pretty cold.

_______
March 25, 2016 11:55PM
Sounds like you either just got a bad piece or someone sold you plane plate glass as boro.
March 26, 2016 12:51AM
Must have got a bad piece because I can tell the difference it really is Boro or at least it isn't plain glass iow.

_______
March 30, 2016 06:40AM
Perhaps a dumb question, is it flat on the other side? Maybe the bump has always been there, but you printed on the other side of the glass originally
March 30, 2016 01:35PM
Origamib
Perhaps a dumb question, is it flat on the other side? Maybe the bump has always been there, but you printed on the other side of the glass originally
This is what I am thinking as one side I managed to chip when I took the effector off and one of its 3mm screws gouged it so I flipped it over. I will have to check that when I get a chance.

_______
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login