Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thoughts and Improvements

Posted by andrew van ees 
Thoughts and Improvements
October 21, 2010 10:26AM
Okay first things first, why not plastic rods instead of metal ones. Ones the printer can
make itself and yes I know length, strength maybe an issue. You make then slightly wider and add female and male
ends and there is no length you can not go. Second thing do all the metal rods have to be round, some of these look
simply like frame work so why not wider square plastic with holes or grips added for the electronics. Third thing why
not make all the nuts, bolts, screw universal and out of plastic or better yet find and alternative method with plastic for
putting things together. Okay thats it for my improvement thoughts, just putting it out there for someone to try, as I
have yet to build one myself.

Now for my thoughts in regards to (brain fart) circuit boards, everyone pretty much has an inkjet printer at home or knows
where they can get one cheap. So someone talks to Hp or Epson gets them to make ink that can conduct electricity, and
cloth (business card stock/bristle board) paper that is fire retardant and heat resistant. Someone else makes little plastic
cups with copper pins or copper fish hook like ends with copper insides just like some of the components inside my
computer. You use the ink and paper to print the circuit board the cups to hook into the circuit board (ends locking together)
, glue another piece of cloth on back of the first one and insert the feet of the diodes/capacitors/resistors etc into the cups.
Circuit board is complete and a little flexible as well.

Thats it for my improvements and thoughts,

Have Fun

Regards,

Andrew van Ees
Re: Thoughts and Improvements
November 29, 2010 05:00PM
Andrew,
In answer to your first question, even ABS rods suffer from creep. Over long periods of time, the plastic acts like, well, plastic, and the straight rods become straight no more. I am currently brainstorming how to make something thicker and more rigid than rods, but even for that I am hoping to be able to put fiberglass threads throughout to further stiffen it and prevent or reduce creep.

As for the cross sectional shape, round read and threaded rod is often less expensive, and possibly more dimensionally accurate. The holes and grips are still difficult to add in the vertical dimension when building up the piece because they include overhangs, which don't work well with current extruders and no support. As for why no one makes plastic washers and nuts, they are a small cost to use something stronger and longer lasting. If we were closer to an all RP reprap, then it would make sense. Right now it take less printing time to make a stronger, more durable machine using metal fasteners.

As for inkjet printers directly making pcbs, if they could easily do that, the whole industry would be trying already. We need to start with more practical techniques now that we know can work, and then later start advancing the world state-of-the-art in cheap and easy pcbs.

Mike
December 09, 2010 01:29PM
Has / is anyone working on increasing the print table to (ideal for me) 24"/61cm square?
I appreciate issues such as higher power requirements would be needed to just heat the print table, but this could be adaptable by having specific heating zones going from the centre outwards (depending on the item size and heat loss through the metal plate.)
Also there is the issue of adapting the software to accommodate the increase in dimensions.
The extra lengths of the frame rods etc will / may also require further support or an increase in width to maintain structual stability and accuracy.
I cannot see any real issue with the motors covering the extended printing range, other than the manoeuvrability of a considerably larger table x speed and time issues relating to the properties of the plastic being printed.

Just a thought why not have the REPRAP move along the plan of the table if moving such a sizable lump of metal is restrictive

Simon.
December 10, 2010 03:55AM
Simon
Has / is anyone working on increasing the print table to (ideal for me) 24"/61cm square?

Basically, what you are referring to is a smaller version of the Mendel Apollo.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login