Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1/32 Stepper drivers.

Posted by jammersplace 
1/32 Stepper drivers.
April 08, 2016 02:25PM
I searched the forums but couldn't get a good answer. First off let me state the following.

I have the fastbot3d BBP that has 1/32 stepper motors.
I currently have a sunhokey prusa i3 with a couple of upgraded parts bought here and there.
I'm currently at work and don't off the top of my head know the model of the stepper motors I have but I do know the size is nema 17.

When I use the 32 stepper setting I get some weird noises along with it not working completely right.

Here is my question now that you have some info.
Does the stepper motors have to be compatible for the 32 steps or will any 1.8 degree motor work?
Also when going to 32 steps do I have to increase the amps. I'm just basically looking for any info on the subject google isn't helping.

Thanks a head of time for any info you can provide. This site has been my goto for any questions I have had.
Re: 1/32 Stepper drivers.
April 08, 2016 02:56PM
What do you mean by "not working completely right."?

I don't think the driver microstep setting should make any difference. There are no real compatibility issues as far as I know. Any driver designed for steppers should work with most any stepper. It is possible that you might have some resonance issues at 1/32 microstepping that you don't get at 1/16 or 1/8 but those are far less common than simple current limiting being incorrect. I would double check the current your stepper motors require and make sure your stepper drivers are set up to deliver the right current. Do your steppers get hot? Do your drivers get hot? (Be careful touching drivers, they may burn you when hot)
April 08, 2016 04:03PM
Yep.. "not working completely right." is a broad term.. winking smiley

But assuming that things is wired correctly, a possible cause of unwanted bahaviour could be the decay mode of the stepper drivers, there is a good writeup here: [ebldc.com]

Also try searching this forum and google for "drv8825 decay mode", it might give you some pointers.

I have drv8825 on one of my printers, which I have forced into fast dacay, it makes a bit more whizzeling and other wierd noises, but the steppers runs way smoother.

Edit: "Unwanted behaviour" is also a broad term.. winking smiley wat I meant, was not running smooth..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2016 04:05PM by Ralf.
April 08, 2016 05:16PM
Yes I guess it is more musical than at 16 steps. I will check the article out. Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login