Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Availability of 32 bit controllers

Posted by animoose 
Availability of 32 bit controllers
April 20, 2016 07:04PM
It seems to be hard to get hold of 32 bit controllers right now:
Azteeg X5 - out of stock at panucatt, matter hackers and ultibots.
Duet 0.8.5 - out of stock at filastruder and think3dprint3d.
RADDS - out of stock at reprap.me and makerfarm.
Smoothieboard - available
AZSMZ - available

Is there some reason for this, like component availability or because a new generation of boards is about to hit and the old stock is being run out? I ask part because of idle curiosity and partly because I'm considering what 32 bit controller to use on my Eclips3D.

See my blog at [moosteria.blogspot.com].
Re: Availability of 32 bit controllers
April 20, 2016 07:34PM
I can only comment on the Duet board....
I have an order in for a Duet 0.8.5.from Filastruder, that should be arriving in a small batch in the next few days. I was told just before I ordered that they also had another batch coming in after that.

Duet series does have a new board in development called the DuetNG (NextGeneration) but in the announcement it was said the 0.8.5 version would also remain available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2016 07:34PM by aussiephil.
April 21, 2016 01:00AM
MKS SBASE Smoothieboard clone is also available. It's cheaper than the Smoothieboard (~$80) and has five stepper drivers, but comes with the standard Chinese-clone quality control.
April 21, 2016 01:18AM
Gen7 appears to be available.
April 21, 2016 01:59AM
I can only speak to Duet, the limitation is supply-side - the UK manufacturer that T3P3 is working with can only crank them out so quickly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2016 02:00AM by greenman100.
April 21, 2016 02:58AM
And this is how the Chinese are.getting the Change to take a big peace of the marked. All that cant deliver now should not complain later.

P3steel DXL, with Due/RADDS/Raps128 dual Wade's extruder
VDX
April 21, 2016 03:32AM
... I'm located in Germany and in contact with the developers of the RADDS-board, so no problem to get them (have got some 10 of them together with the Dues - 7 in use, 3 spare)

AFAIK they ordered/built a new batch, which is actually been delivered to some of the resellers ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 21, 2016 04:18AM
So whats the difference with the Duet's you see on ebay quite cheap and the 0.8.5 version?
Also I think the numbering of this might put some people off, they may be waiting for the 1.0.0 version....
it sounds a little unfinished despite how well it might work.
April 21, 2016 05:58AM
animoose
a new generation of boards is about to hit and the old stock is being run out?

Unlikely. Controllers are pretty much the same since years now. Look at the good old Gen3, it does pretty much the same as recent controllers: drive 4 steppers and 2 heaters with an affordable MCU. 32-bit is less the result of an urgent demand, more the result of the availability of such chips.

These days it's also clear that selling printer parts and/or kits isn't a get-rich-quick recipe. With Solidoodle, RepRapPro, eMakershop, others closing, much of the enthusiasm is gone.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

VDX
April 21, 2016 06:16AM
Traumflug
animoose
a new generation of boards is about to hit and the old stock is being run out?

Unlikely. Controllers are pretty much the same since years now. Look at the good old Gen3, it does pretty much the same as recent controllers: drive 4 steppers and 2 heaters with an affordable MCU. 32-bit is less the result of an urgent demand, more the result of the availability of such chips.

... I've changed for the 32bit controllers for speed reasons - this will be different, if you don't have speed- or timing issues with the older types, but 16/20kHz compared to 90/200kHz is a pretty big leap forward.

These days it's also clear that selling printer parts and/or kits isn't a get-rich-quick recipe. With Solidoodle, RepRapPro, eMakershop, others closing, much of the enthusiasm is gone.

... so, if all the people have learned this lession ... maybe we can rethink the basic idea around "...wealth without money" winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 21, 2016 08:09AM
As far as the Duet 0.8.5 is concerned, I think T3P3 has been caught out by demand ramping up much faster than expected. Some high-end kit manufacturers and manufacturers of professional 3D printers have adopted the Duet or are in the process of doing so. Stocks are definitely not being run down in anticipation of the Duet NG, which is still a few months away. The latest I heard was that new stock is expected in a couple of weeks or so.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login