Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet v0.8.5 not working

Posted by nikko4913 
Duet v0.8.5 not working
May 14, 2016 11:16AM
Hello.
I’m writing to this forum because my newly bought Duet v0.8.5 board, doesn’t work. Yesterday, i had i working initially, and i managed to get to the web interface. Today, when i wanted to start wiring things up to my functional 3D printer, it suddenly stopped responding. This is what happened:

1. I install a new firmware on it, making sure everything works with the web interface and only Ethernet and USB plugged in.
2. Then i plug in power from my PSU that would supply 24V.
3. I make sure it Works, by getting to the web interface.
4. I turn it off, and plug in some motors and their end stops.
5. Then I plug in power once again, everything starts up, but before i can get to the web interface the PSU fan starts to rapidly accelerate, and i panic and cut off the power completely.
6. To be on the safe side, i remove all wires, and make sure everything is as it was before.
7. I plug in power once Again, but this time the PSU fan doesn’t accelerate like before, it just stays at a normal speed.
8. Now, none of the LED’s at the Ethernet connector turns on, and generally the board acts unstable.

To show you how everything is wired up, I’ve attached a few Pictures with arrows. A thermal image of the board has also been attached. Those arrows have a number corresponding to the following list:
1. This particular part gets really hot now.
2/3/4. The LED called ’BeadHeat’ sometimes start blinking rapidly in sync with the ’E1 Heat’ LED and the ’E0 Heat’ LED. If those LED’s start blinking, so does the LED’s surrounding the fan connectors in the middle of the board.
5. This LED lights, but very vaguely compared to the surrounding ones
6. This one is completely turned off. So is the LED’s at the Ethernet connector.

I’m pretty sure you guys would say that it’s probably a short I accidentally did, or some of my wires not being handled properly. To that I can say that my printer worked fine before this board came. I’m also very cautious around Electronics, and I did care for ESD. I handled the board with great caution, and made sure that all wires were connected correctly. ALL connectors that was connected, was proper jumper pin connectors, and the way i see it, none of those could have caused a shortage. The only thing i connected to the board other than X/Y/Z motors and endstops was the two wires for the heat thermistor for the hotend.

So, what could be wrong here? What could i do to fix it? If you need any more Pictures or Measurements, feel free to comment. I’d just like this to be fixed. Also, I did of course buy the board from Think3DPrint3D, and i also contacted them regarding this issue. However, you guys seem to be faster at responding smiling smiley

As you might be able to see, above you'll find a thermal image of the Duet v0.8.5. You'll be able to see two spots that's heated a bit. The most heated one is 101.3 degrees celsius. The following image is a zoomed in picture of the chip that's heated.

Thank you all for helping!
-nikko4913

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2016 11:56AM by nikko4913.
Re: Duet v0.8.5 not working
May 14, 2016 11:53AM
The fact the PSU fan span up obviously suggests a short somewhere.

The "hot chip" is the Ethernet chip (Microchip KSZ8081 PHY), the other component that appears to be fairly hot is the 3v3 regulator. This suggests the short is in the ethernet chip.
Also consistent with Ethernet working and odd behaviour from overloaded 3v3 rail.

I can't really see that anything you plugged in could have caused it to fail, so I would suspect a manufacturing fault. I think it's a warranty return.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
May 14, 2016 12:00PM
If you have 3 wire endstops, check the + and -. The +3.3vdc is in the center on the Duet.
May 14, 2016 12:09PM
bobc:
That sounds plausible actually. Thank you very much smiling smiley

stephenrc:
I'm aware of that, and i've also made triple sure that those were connected correctly, before plugging power in.
May 14, 2016 01:13PM
I agree, looks like the Ethernet PHY chip has failed and is pulling the 3.3V line down, which is causing the 3.3V regulator to overheat and the hot end and bed heater LEDs to blink.I can't think of anything you could have done that would cause the PHY chip to fail, so I agree that it sounds like a warranty replacement is justified.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 14, 2016 02:43PM
Okay, good thing i contacted Think3DPrint3D then. Thank you all for your input smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login