Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motor shield for extruder stepper moody smiley

Posted by eranglr 
Motor shield for extruder stepper moody smiley
November 21, 2010 06:10PM
Hi there.

I am trying to build a Repstrap, but have some trboule with the extruder, here's the story:

I built a Wade extruder, and connected the stepper motor to a motor shield (I had it) - here's a link: [www.dfrobot.com]

Now, I don't know where to go from here. I managed to upload a small program to my arduino and the stepper motor works,
my questions are:

what to do now? I've seen this link - I can connect my arduino to my stepper controller, but - what about my Motor shield - how should I control it confused smiley

Thanks
emt
Re: Motor shield for extruder stepper moody smiley
November 22, 2010 05:05AM
Hi

What controller are you using for the other axes of your repstrap?

Regards

Ian
November 22, 2010 05:17AM
I am using Aliencnc 4 axis driver (it has step/dir pins) (link)

Will my printer print today smiling smiley?

thanks!
Eran

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 05:18AM by eranglr.
emt
November 22, 2010 05:24AM
Hi

Sorry, I meant what software are you using to control the Repstrap.

Regards

Ian
November 22, 2010 05:25AM
November 22, 2010 05:33AM
I've read this post serval time and I still can figure a few things, I will really appreciate your help:

My setup is as follow:

Pc --> Aliencnc controller --> Stepper motors

Pc --> Arduino board --> L298 motor shield
--> Thermocouple Amplifier (MAX6675) breakout board - v1.0

What I don't understand is - what to do now? should I upload a software to my arduino? if so - which one?

I tried (for couple of weeks now) to understand, even burned one axis (out of my 4, so now I have 3...) - this is why I am using my motor shield...

ANY help will be VERY appreciated!
emt
November 22, 2010 05:51AM
Hi

Can aliencnc control 4 axes?

If so you need to set up the extruder as the 4th axis. You can then produce 5d code from the host, repsnapper or skeinforge. I personally use skeinforge. You can set it up to generate A code for repstraps 4th axis extruders instead of E that a reprap uses to control the extruder

Can you provide a link to aliencnc? As Sebastien sugested a switch to EMC2 [www.linuxcnc.org] might be the easiest solution.

Regards

Ian
November 22, 2010 06:13AM
Also: http://reprap.org/wiki/EMC_Arduino

smileys with beerGood luck.smileys with beer

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
November 22, 2010 07:54AM
SebastienBailard - > this is what I was looking for, just that I didn't found the arduino code there
emt
November 22, 2010 08:22AM
Hi

Are you trying to run an extruder with stepper motor or trying to operate a heater?

Please explain how you want to use the the sheild and for what purpose?

Regards

Ian
November 22, 2010 08:44AM
Hi.

this is my current configuration - I have 2 arduinos (one duemilanove and the other - mega).

The duemilanove is connected to my motor shield and receive step/dir and drive the motor shield.

The arduino mega connected to my cnc controller (using step/dir).

My problems are:

1) when I'm trying to upload the FIVEd firmware to my arduino mega, I get a error (CPUTYPE not declared in scope).

2) fore temperature, I am using this board, to which arduino should I connect it, and how should I let the code "know" that it should use this board?

3) I have built a relay shield (next I will move to mosfet), that turn the heating of the extruder on/off, to which arduino should I connect it and - what to set up so it will work?

Thank you!
November 22, 2010 09:12AM
eranglr:

[forums.reprap.org]

smileys with beer

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
emt
November 22, 2010 02:04PM
Hi

I don't think you can have the extruder stepper driven easily on a different shield to the XY & Z axes because of timing. Can you connect a 4th axis to the mega so you can have true 5D control. I am still not clear as to how you are controlling the CNC. Are you intending to use the Reprap software or a different CNC controller. If it is the Reprap it may pay you to reconfigure your Mega shield to use Adrian's Pololu schematic but using your stepper drives instead of the Pololu drives.

[reprap.org]

Regards

Ian
November 22, 2010 07:01PM
eranglr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi.
>
> this is my current configuration - I have 2
> arduinos (one duemilanove and the other - mega).
>
> The duemilanove is connected to my motor shield
> and receive step/dir and drive the motor shield.

I'm assuming this motor is for the extruder.

You may be able to use the standard extruder firmware here with some tweaking for the platform. Given all the work Buzz has done on the firmware to abstract this stuff, I'd definitely start with the stuff in Subversion. It may be just a matter of going through the config.

> The arduino mega connected to my cnc controller
> (using step/dir).
>
> My problems are:
>
> 1) when I'm trying to upload the FIVEd firmware to
> my arduino mega, I get a error (CPUTYPE not
> declared in scope).

You need to edit the configuration.h file and tell it you're using a mega. That's probably the main issue.

>
> 2) fore temperature, I am using this board, to
> which arduino should I connect it, and how should
> I let the code "know" that it should use this
> board?
>
> 3) I have built a relay shield (next I will move
> to mosfet), that turn the heating of the extruder
> on/off, to which arduino should I connect it and -
> what to set up so it will work?

If you're using a separate board for the extruder, then it makes sense to put the temp monitoring/control on this board (which in this case, is your duemilanove.

Basically you're using almost a classic gen3 style setup, where you have an extruder board (the duemilanove, motor controller, temp monitor/control), the main motherboard (mega, controlling the steppers), and motor controllers (your CNC board).

I think the only issue is that in the standard Gen3 setup, the extruder controller is connected to the main motherboard, and the extruder controller doesn't have a direct connection to the PC. Given your setup you may also have to go down that route. It would be a lot easier if you didn't have to of course.

Note: I think I've heard of someone using anything up to 3 megas together control their setup. I don't know what firmware they used, or how they did it. Would be worth investigating.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login