Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any specific reason we don't use nylon?

Posted by annodomini2 
Any specific reason we don't use nylon?
December 11, 2010 02:25PM
As above,

Nylon Strimmer wire is cheap, plentiful and easily available.

Andy
VDX
Re: Any specific reason we don't use nylon?
December 11, 2010 03:44PM
... has trickier heat vs. viscosity parameters, so isn't so good to extrude ... but seems to be the best material for plastic-SLS ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 11, 2010 07:51PM
I thought the same thing several months ago, so I went to home depot and bought a bunch of small spools in varying shapes and sizes.

No matter which one I tried, it was impossible to extrude in a standard hot end. It might be possible to use, but you would have to make a tapered barrel or something special. I do not have a lathe so I cannot experiment any further with this idea.

The problem I saw was that once a substantial enough portion of the nylon softened, it expanded in the barrel until the friction was too much to push it through. I could only make an extrusion about 10cm long before it jammed.

The gasses it releases upon thermal decomposition are also toxic and it stinks much more than ABS or PLA. For safety and comfort, you should have ventilation to run it.
December 12, 2010 02:49PM
I built a test head for nylon fishing line a lot of years ago, I will dig it out and post images, its so long ago I can
not remember if it worked well or not, I think the fumes were a problem.

Random Precision
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login