Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does a kit like this exist?

Posted by fedaykin 
Does a kit like this exist?
July 23, 2016 07:18PM
Hey everyone, I've been learning about 3d printers at my local fablab, and have been looking into building my own kit. Since I've never done it, I was hoping to find a complete frame kit, but after hours of reading I've had my mind set on:
  • HBot or CoreXY for low momentum/bad side effects
  • Bed on Z axis
  • Full boxed frame for rigidity
  • Nice hotend/extruder such as e3d or frame kit just without extruder

I am not looking for super speed, just reliable, low maintenance, and accurate. I have looked through the openbuilds site, but haven't found a project with a complete BOM that fits what I'm looking for. I'm not dead set on hbot/corexy, but from everything I've read it seems with a properly stiff frame there are very few downsides compared to a cartesian.
Re: Does a kit like this exist?
July 23, 2016 09:16PM
I bought a kit from Smartfriendz for his Smartrapcore Alu kit.

It has all your requirements, sort of. His kit is supplied with a chinese clone for a hotend that I did not even use. I ordered an E3D Lite6 and an E3D V6 hotend and ended up using those instead of the chinese one supplied with the kit.

My only negative thing to say is the kit was shipped from France and me being in the US it took 30+ days for it to actually arrive/ship. I was getting emails from DHL about shipping, but the package was not collected for 10-15 days after I had the email that said it shipped. Others in Europe have said this is not the case, and that could be true. My experience could have been a one off in the dark for all I know. And their customer support is not what you would normally expect from a US company. I had crappy luck getting anything from them beyond the initial kit, but others have said different so it could be the case of timezone differences between US and France.

But it was a good kit, easy to assemble, easy to setup, and it is a solid design. I can't speak for the XL300 version as that one is still listed as design in process on Thingiverse.

Coincidentally, I've built 2 more CoreXY machines based on the Smartfriendz kit sourcing my own parts from McMaster Carr, Amazon, Misumi, and Filastruder. (1 was a rebuild of the Smartrap Mini into a 6mm Smartrapcore Alu, and the other is my 300x300x360 sized machine that is still a work in progress.)

Of course, you can probably put his kit together excluding the plastic parts from Robotdigg, Misumi, and some place that supplied M3 and M4 hardware. I had seen a set of the Smartrapcore Alu parts on the for sale page by DjDemonD at one point. Smartfriendz has the entire design on Onshape and Thingiverse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2016 09:20PM by PDBeal.
July 24, 2016 06:41PM
Do yourself a favor and read our Digital Dentist's "Son Of Megamax" instructable.
July 24, 2016 07:34PM
Yeah I've got a complete set of the original smartfriendz Smartrapcore Alu (8mm rods, 2020 extrusions) printed parts for sale mainly in grey PLA. I reprinted a few of the parts in black PLA as some are still in one of my machines. Let me know if your interested, they aren't shifting so definitely a big reduction for a fellow forum member. I'd agree with PDBeal, the Smartrapcore Alu is a great kit corexy and very capable. Plenty of support (from us as well as Smartfriendz). There's plenty of upgrades available I've done a bunch, PDBeal has done a bunch including some really nice rear pulley holders which I have to get around to printing and trying out too, and there are loads of other parts/upgrades available, and Smartrap has its own forum here.

Sure there are probably more technically competent corexy kits out there but I suspect they will be more challenging to build well. The Smartfriendz kit is a really easy one to put together but if building another one, I'd self source the parts and just use Smartfriends website, github and onshape as a build guide. I enlarged mine quite easily to 300x200x170mm.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
July 24, 2016 09:05PM
Check out the Eclipse3D kits:

[www.eclips3d.com]
July 26, 2016 02:30PM
Sounds like you might be looking for a VORON kit.

July 27, 2016 02:14PM
VORON Kit = vaporware

Please show where VORON kit can be purchased?

confused smiley
July 28, 2016 06:36PM
cozmicray
VORON Kit = vaporware

Please show where VORON kit can be purchased?

confused smiley

Ordering starts tomorrow, go to their reddit for details, so I guess its is vaporware for one more day. It is about as vaporware as the Ford GT was before pre-ordering opened up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login