Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA Object Is Coating Necessary?

Posted by Plumguy 
PLA Object Is Coating Necessary?
July 26, 2016 02:09PM
Greetings!
So after reading about 3D printing for quite some time, I bought a Folger Tech 2020 on Ebay
and decided to start off printing with PLA. So, my question is, do PLA objects need
to be coated after printing to prevent moisture deterioration?
Thanks!

ps: printer should be here by Monday so next week will be a looooooooooooooooooong learning week!
Re: PLA Object Is Coating Necessary?
July 26, 2016 03:32PM
Plumguy
Greetings!
So after reading about 3D printing for quite some time, I bought a Folger Tech 2020 on Ebay
and decided to start off printing with PLA. So, my question is, do PLA objects need
to be coated after printing to prevent moisture deterioration?
Thanks!

ps: printer should be here by Monday so next week will be a looooooooooooooooooong learning week!

Moisture does not have any impact on PLA prints. Not sure if you meant PVA, or if you were thinking of what moisture does to PLA filament, but it is not water soluble.

Folger Tech I3 2020 Wikia page: [folgertech.wikia.com]

Custom Folger Tech I3 2020 custom search
July 26, 2016 04:33PM
Hmmm, so moisture is more of a concern with PLA filament, (such as storage) but not the final printed object?
July 26, 2016 05:10PM
Plumguy
Hmmm, so moisture is more of a concern with PLA filament, (such as storage) but not the final printed object?

Correct

Folger Tech I3 2020 Wikia page: [folgertech.wikia.com]

Custom Folger Tech I3 2020 custom search
July 26, 2016 06:06PM
Plumguy

Hmm, no, moisture will have an effect. PLA will break down in a compost, moisture and heat is what is required to start the break down process. It is of course less of an issue after you've printed.

from what I understand, water in filament will give it a 'honeycomb' effect as water creates pockets inside the filament. I'll have to see if I can find the image, but this is what you start to see under the microscope. These will then 'pop' when the filament is heated, and the steam escapes. This will cause artefacts in the print where the pressure has changed in the nozzle. This is at least what I understand of it.
This process should still happen in your 3D prints after printing, what affect this has is unknown but is perhaps something to consider for mechanical parts and bits in your printer. The new E3D edge filament becomes more brittle if it has moisture in it.

If you are concerned about longevity and/or you want to use it in high moisture conditions than a hard coating is certainly something to think about. Otherwise I wouldn't worry.
July 26, 2016 08:20PM
I have done a number of garden ornaments... they've been sitting outside in the rain and sun and frost for about a year, with no obvious deterioration.

If you want your objects to be water-tight (e.g. a cup to hold water, or lid to keep water out) then you probably should coat them in some way (e.g. paint). Maybe experts don't have this problem but on my objects there are often small gaps between printed layers or at corners that are not obvious to the naked eye, but big enough to allow water through.

I expect that freeze-thaw cycles would break down a 3D-printed object which contained water droplets, although I haven't actually seen any evidence on my garden ornaments.
July 30, 2016 01:34PM
Thanks for the advice all! The reason for the moisture issue is due to the fact that I wanted to make a chess set that would be displayed in a somewhat tropical environment. Didn't want the pieces to decompose or otherwise break down.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login