Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A question about printheads?

Posted by jjoll 
A question about printheads?
August 09, 2016 05:14PM
Hello Everyone,

For some part of my reprap project, I need to hack an inkjet printhead.
All the inkjet printheads that I have seen so far, have their nozzles set in a straight line. Nozzels are usually set in two or three straight lines and there is usually a huge gap between each line. For example:
[imgur.com]
[imgur.com]

I was just wondering if anybody in this forum knows a printhead which has more lines and has much more nozzles which are stacked much closer to each other. I need a printhead that have much more packed nozzles. Something like:
[imgur.com]
[imgur.com]

I want nozzles to be close to each other. Preferably I want X and Y to be less than 0.5mm apart from each other.
If we don’t have such a thing, can I DIY such a thing myself? Can I have it customised outside?

I know that this question might not be very relevant to this forum but people in this forum seemed to be most knowledgeable in this topic.

Thanks for any suggestion,
Re: A question about printheads?
August 09, 2016 07:34PM
Is there a reason you cannot make a mechanism to scan a single line of nozzles, just like they are scanned in a regular inkjet printer?
August 10, 2016 06:07AM
MattMoses
Is there a reason you cannot make a mechanism to scan a single line of nozzles, just like they are scanned in a regular inkjet printer?
I have this honeycomb mesh (http://imgur.com/kx758HV) made of holes and I am planning to deposit droplets of ink/liquid in some particular hole at each time. I am planning to use inkjet nozzles for doing this and I just dont want to move my printhead (in the x-y plane). preferably I am looking for a nozzle arrangement like what I mentioned (ie. [imgur.com]). In this way I won't have to physically move my printhead over the particular holes in order to deposit ink drop, I can simply send command to activate certain nozzles at a time.
August 10, 2016 09:36PM
That sounds difficult, especially since most printheads won't have that many rows of nozzles, even if they are close enough together.

If you don't want to move your whole effector, have you considered attaching a dedicated one-axis actuator that can move the inkjet head back and forth the short distance you need?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login