Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

general construction questions

Posted by morrist 
general construction questions
January 10, 2011 02:56PM
Hey all,
My construction is almost done, i am maybe 1 or 2 days from being finished with my Mendel. i am installing the flags for the end-stops currently. i don't see much instruction for the wiki as to how to make the flags. i bought the tech zone kit, and i don't see any flags, but just a metal sheet, maybe that just needs to be cut? also, the tech-zone extruder kit doesnt seem to have much instruction on the tech-zone page. can anyone else explain its construction? thank you,

Morrist
Re: general construction questions
January 10, 2011 03:10PM
Here is a link to the instructions for the TechZone extruder.

[www.reprap.org]

I don't know what TechZone uses for flags they they are pretty simple. If all you have is a sheet of metal you can print out the flags fromt his link and then cut them out. I use rubber cement to put the paper on the metal then peel the paper off later.

[reprap.org]

Hope this helps.
January 10, 2011 03:14PM
bbrigstkd,

Thank you for those links, dont have any idea how i missed those. that helps tremendously. i have one more question about the wiring, i am using this link
[reprap.org]
it doesnt appear to address how the 12v power supply is connected and how to wire power to the whole reprap for the power supply. is there possibly another link i am missing? And the firmware is already burned, does this mean it can be plugged into the computer right away after wiring? Thanks again for your help. After these things i think i can get my mendel printing.

Morrist
January 10, 2011 06:01PM
The 12V power is the black and yellow wires in those pictures. If you are powering this from an ATX supply, then you can just select a yellow and black wire and connect them.
January 10, 2011 06:29PM
i have the generic 12v power supply from techzone, i see where the wires are hooked into, but cannot seem to figure out where the wires are connected at the other end. just confused alittle with eh lack of pictures to refer to.
January 10, 2011 06:46PM
Check this:

[reprap.org]

Replace the XLR connector with a jack compatible with the power supply, or simply cut off the jack plug and wire it directly to the chocolate block. Or any variation on this theme you can get the parts for, chocolate block connectors are not the only solution. Just be sure to get the polarity correct.
January 10, 2011 06:47PM
hey, that helps. I'll get back on tomorrow or so to post my results. Thanks again for the help

Morrist
January 12, 2011 05:41PM
hey, bought wire for powering the boards, i bought 18 gauge instead of 20 gauge. will this make any noticeable differences, or is this dangerous to do?

morrist
January 12, 2011 06:28PM
Not dangerous at all. 18 Gauge is thicker than 20 gauge ( gauge numbers always go backwards, smaller number means bigger item). I suspect that even the 20 gauge is generous, unless the extruder heater and/or bed heater are powered by this board as well.

Don't worry, 18 will do fine!

Mike
January 12, 2011 06:53PM
sorry, i seemed to say it backwards. my wire is one gauge too small. would it make a difference?
January 12, 2011 06:56PM
the extruder is run from this as well
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login