Should PID autotune be run with the fan on or off?
August 29, 2016 02:47PM
I am using a design for the fan that combines both the part cooling and heat sink cooling. I ended up using a 40mm server fan, which is really powerful. I ran it at 85% power, which is the lowest it can go without turning off. It ends up cooling the extruder so much that I can't get up to temperature and I would get thermal runaway errors. Should I try to run the PID autotune with the fan on, or would that not help at all? I am currently just putting cardboard over the intake of the fan, which is decreasing the airflow, but I would rather have a better airflow with more aggressive heating.
Re: Should PID autotune be run with the fan on or off?
August 29, 2016 03:12PM
You need to run pid tune in the same setup you are printing. Everything else will make the pid control work not optimal.
August 29, 2016 03:30PM
Those combined part and heatsink cooling designs are really bad. Generally, you don't always want part cooling, but you generally always want heatsink cooling.
August 30, 2016 03:16AM
Maybe thinck of isolating the heater block. I use molded Hight Temp Silicone sleaves that help maintaining a stable temperature regardles of ariflow around the hotend.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login