Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Resoldering a NEMA 17

Posted by Govahnator 
Resoldering a NEMA 17
August 30, 2016 02:06PM
Hi guys,

I have a geared Nema 17 Motor for my extruder, it comes with a connector on it.
one of the wires of the connector broke off once again, i was wondering if i could open the motor and solder the wires directly.

Can i do this, and does anyone have good advice on this?

Thanks
Re: Resoldering a NEMA 17
August 30, 2016 02:21PM
Probably, but do not remove the rotor from the stator housing. If you remove the rotor, the stepper motor will lose torque.
August 30, 2016 03:06PM
stephenrc
Probably, but do not remove the rotor from the stator housing. If you remove the rotor, the stepper motor will lose torque.

maybe the safest way, is to not open the motor, but to solder the wires against the pins of the female part of the connector.

What do you think?
August 30, 2016 04:09PM
stephenrc

Why is this?
August 30, 2016 04:53PM
I soldered directly on the female pins, so i didn't open the motor.

I just tested the geared motor, works fine. I am using it for my robodigg bulldog xl extruder.

Also i just replaced the drive gear with an mk7, i replaced the idler aswell, the original one has a groove in it so i replaced it with a regular one.

@Digital Dentist, in case you are reading, what drive gear do you use on your bulldog xl?

Cheers

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2016 04:56PM by Govahnator.
August 31, 2016 09:29AM
I have a BullDog XL from Reprapdiscount.com. It comes completely assembled. I used whatever they provided.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 05, 2016 09:04AM
So the solders came loose, tried to resolder them, solder came between 2 pins. Messed up, can i remove the female connector and solder to the pcb? I can't manage to open the nema 17

SOLVED i manged to open it with a flat screwdriver using it to lever in the backhole of the Nema ( i have no idea how to explain decent it in english ).

I soldered to the pcb, after 10 times of resassembling the motor, because of hard shaft motion it is now turns smooth as new. Lets test if it lost torque.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2016 01:11AM by Govahnator.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login