Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Like the Mendel - Small Website Complaint

Posted by rfrazier 
Like the Mendel - Small Website Complaint
January 30, 2011 08:26AM
Hello all. I'm a newbie to the reprap project. I saw a demo of a Mendel at a local robotics club meeting in Atlanta, GA, USA. I was very impressed. I want to own one of these machines and will be following the developments with interest.

I've been browsing around the reprap website and find it very interesting and informative. I do have a small complaint however, and couldn't figure anywhere else to put it.

On this page: [reprap.org] , the 9th video down is hosted on blip.tv. As soon as you play the video, it throws an ad in your face, and periodically thereafter. You cannot stop the ad once it starts. I'm running Firefox under Ubuntu. I had to forcibly kill Firefox and then kill the flash process in order to get the ad to shut up and release my CPU. Even after shutting down Firefox, the ad continued talking. This is extremely annoying. I would ask that you do not use a service such as this.

Otherwise, like the printer, like the site. Fascinating developments in the field of home manufacturing.
Re: Like the Mendel - Small Website Complaint
January 30, 2011 09:07AM
I thought as much - it is a video posted by a particular individual for which he gets paid part of the advertising revenue by the site hosting these videos.

He has been posting a load of such videos on the site which in my opinion do not deliver any value except to his bank balance!

man - I could go on a rant here but I better not.

edited to remove the name as I don't want to start a flame war!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 09:56AM by AgeingHippy.
Re: Like the Mendel - Small Website Complaint
February 01, 2011 10:52AM
yes i don't like those ads either. Kinda taking advantage of the project. unless that money gets kicked back to reprap, i say replace them. maybe if we ask in the reprapper forum for people to replace these videos with their own? I can do some, if i have the time (no promises).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login