Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting skeinforge to print a shield like reprap-host

Posted by jsadusk 
Re: Getting skeinforge to print a shield like reprap-host
March 03, 2011 01:11PM
Hello,

He has not posted in reponse to the e-mails that I have posted. Instead, he has posted in his forum encouraging his customers to come here and the implication is to argue on his behalf. This is not unlike where he trashed my "for sale" thread and did not respond to my public request for him to publically post pictures to prove his arguement. The reality is that the parts that I sold him were as per the specification, that we agreed to, and I would not have sold them otherwise. I did have some problems, however, and I did not release the parts that were not up to the specification and delayed shipping his order by a day or two because of this.

His clarification was fine. To tell his "story" while leaving out all of the details is another issue entirely. I am merely responding by making sure that both sides of the story are heard. For too long, I have sat by and watched him make negative comments about me while promoting his products. It is said that every story has two sides. Because he will not let this drop, I am telling my side of the story. Maybe I should have done this long ago. I really don't know.

Regards,

Brian

Dave Durant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Why don't you post here
>
> Er.. He did already. A couple times.
>
> Initially, it was reacting to somebody saying
> this:
> > ...am printing using PLA and if you use a two
> part nozzle like the big head nozzle you will
> eventually get blobs on your object because the
> PLA squeezes between the threads.
>
> It then turned out that the "big head nozzle" he
> was referring to was one of your "similar to
> MakerGear" nozzles, not a MakerGear nozzle.
>
> Since the MakerGear ones do not leak with PLA, it
> seems pretty reasonable for Rick to clarify that
> his gear does not have that problem. No?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2011 01:16PM by reifsnyderb.
> He has not posted in reponse to the e-mails that I have posted

I don't think he asked you to post those.

A customer of yours said that all big head nozzles leak PLA. Rick clarified that his BigHead nozzles don't leak PLA and asked his customes to state their opinions, if they wanted to.

Given the way interweb forums usually work, it seems that if MakerGear had unhappy customers they would have spoken here loudly and repeatedly by now. We didn't see that. We didn't see that at all. We saw MakerGear customers post that they're very happy with their BigHead nozzles.

It all seems pretty clear to me..

Anyway.. No more responses from me. I can just feel the mods warming up their behavior modification sticks..
March 03, 2011 02:45PM
Hello,

Dave Durant Wrote:
> > He has not posted in reponse to the e-mails that
> I have posted
>
> I don't think he asked you to post those.

Once again, a double standard. I have not asked for Rick to post negative comments about myself. However, he did. But, he needs to ask me to post our correspondence in order to display his lack of professionalism toward myself? Why?

> A customer of yours said that all big head nozzles
> leak PLA. Rick clarified that his BigHead nozzles
> don't leak PLA and asked his customes to state
> their opinions, if they wanted to.
>
> Given the way interweb forums usually work, it
> seems that if MakerGear had unhappy customers they
> would have spoken here loudly and repeatedly by
> now. We didn't see that. We didn't see that at
> all. We saw MakerGear customers post that they're
> very happy with their BigHead nozzles.

I have never stated anything negative or positive about his products...nor will I. However, he doesn't hold back. On the other hand, it would be foolish for me to try to argue the quality of his products.

Once again, I have on many occassions worked with customers that have had problems. They have just needed to contact me.

> It all seems pretty clear to me..
>
> Anyway.. No more responses from me. I can just
> feel the mods warming up their behavior
> modification sticks..

My whole issue is not about product quality. My whole issue is that Rick has demonstrated a serious lack of professionalism when discussing these issues. I have now responded likewise as it appears that nobody seems to care that he seems to like to bash me anytime he gets the chance. It is only fair that I am able to demonstrate that he is not the "saint" that he appears to be. It is also only fair that my side of the story be told.

Regards,

Brian
March 03, 2011 03:09PM
Some further thoughts:

This whole situation could easily have been prevented. Had Rick delt with me fairly, worked with me to rectify any issues, I would not have produced those nozzles on my own. I would have been content to make the "Big Head" nozzles and let Rick sell and support them.

Instead, after I invested in making his product, he did not respond in good faith to my request for pictures. I was ready, willing, and able to resolve any issues. I just needed to see what the issue was.

It was only after I started making them independently that he eventually trashed my "for sale" listing and told me he would fix it if I were to pay him. Ok, he wanted a refund. He never requested a refund until I started selling them independently. Normally, if you don't like a product, you request that the problem be resolved or your request a refund. Rick did neither. Instead, he just walked away leaving me with new tooling, materials, and wondering what just happened. (Yes, it was my risk.) That was when I decided to start making them and selling them anyhow. After I started selling them, he trashed my "for sale" posting and his posting is still there.

Probably my biggest mistake, other than agreeing to make something for Rick, was to not demand a blueprint with dimensions and tolerances.

Regards,

Brian
March 03, 2011 03:15PM
This feels like watching a train wreck...

Brian, I don't know you... But you posted this:

>At this point, I am not actively selling anything and really have nothing to gain. (Probably nothing to lose, either.)

If you have nothing to gain and nothing to lose... Don't waste cycles treading water and dividing your attention - focus effort into something that you have something to gain from.

This is my first impression of you - if you want to be a vendor, this isn't looking so great for your reputation (for me). That is to say - from my POV, this is not the case: "probably nothing to lose, either." Publicly questioning someone else's professionalism (which is an attack on character) has never sat well with me.

^^all of this isn't meant to lambaste or criticize you (again, I really don't know you) - this is just what it looks like to someone that hasn't used the products that sparked this discussion (an outsider).

-------
On a related note... If anyone ever doubted the importance of trademark and its role in brand equity... this seems to be a good case to learn from (I imagine none of the parties involved are, to date, enthused with the situation).
March 03, 2011 03:41PM
trebuchet03 Wrote:
> This feels like watching a train wreck...
>
> Brian, I don't know you... But you posted this:
>
> >At this point, I am not actively selling anything
> and really have nothing to gain. (Probably nothing
> to lose, either.)
>
> If you have nothing to gain and nothing to lose...
> Don't waste cycles treading water and dividing
> your attention - focus effort into something that
> you have something to gain from.

You have a really good point. I have been hanging around both to keep up with things and because I personally feel that the RepRap project is a fantastic concept. I have been working on something else, for the last few months, and I am hoping to come back at some point.

> This is my first impression of you - if you want
> to be a vendor, this isn't looking so great for
> your reputation (for me). That is to say - from my
> POV, this is not the case: "probably nothing to
> lose, either." Publicly questioning someone else's
> professionalism (which is an attack on character)
> has never sat well with me.

I understand completely. What I don't understand is how Rick's trashing of my reputation appears to be completely ignored. It seems that he can say anything he wants to and nobody stands up and says "what is the other side of the story?" That is the only reason I responded.

> ^^all of this isn't meant to lambaste or criticize
> you (again, I really don't know you) - this is
> just what it looks like to someone that hasn't
> used the products that sparked this discussion (an
> outsider).

I completely understand. Unless Rick decides to personally respond, I've had my say.

Best Regards,

Brian
March 03, 2011 05:56PM
This feels like watching a train wreck...

Pretty much. Locking thread to further entries.sad smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.