Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Conductive Plastic Link

Posted by Jayson 
Conductive Plastic Link
February 23, 2011 05:21PM
Here is a link about a new process to make plastic that can conduct electricity

[www.physorg.com]

Interesting to read about as i know a lot of people here are looking into this.
Re: Conductive Plastic Link
February 23, 2011 05:44PM
This I believe is exactly what Adrian has been looking for.

Someone should send him an email so he can follow up on this!
February 23, 2011 05:54PM
"the method can be used to make cheap, strong, flexible and conductive plastic films."

Unfortunately I don't think this would work for making conductive filament that is extrudable. They are basically bonding a metal film over the surface of a plastic.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
February 23, 2011 06:24PM
Think about it for a moment, wipe or deposit silver paint, use the ion beam to fuse silver into the plastic once it has passed through extrusion?

Just an idea

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 03:41PM by Grogyan.
February 23, 2011 10:03PM
That is an interesting idea. How would an ion beam be created?

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
February 24, 2011 12:03AM
I don't know but if you guys need uranium i can get some (Jokes!!!! but there is heaps in my country so i could probably hook it up)

I want to know what happened to adrians solder dropping toolhead as seen on vimeo, if he ever tried it with actual Gcode, dropping solder into abs grooves or if something came up and he deemed it unsuccessful.
February 24, 2011 07:15AM
If for PCBs, maybe something along the lines of magnet wire? Start of with bare wire, lay it down via the extruder along with the varnish. The varnish if its heated should dry/cure pretty quickly. Holding the starting ends might be a bugger.
February 24, 2011 11:30AM
You'd probably need a vacuum chamber to implement this as an ion beam would be disrupted by the atmosphere.

FIB (Foil ion beam) is used in precise machining of metals, so you MAY have a 2 fold benefit.

Once you have the vacuum chamber, you can consider things like EDM. Allowing metal part manufacturing.
VDX
February 24, 2011 04:03PM
... or use laser in air for MID - here you print with plastic containing metal particles or salts, which are 'activated' by the laser, so the burned areas/tracks went conductive ... and with galvanics you can grow copper or nickel over the activated zones ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login