Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cool componants up print

Posted by johnrpm 
cool componants up print
March 09, 2011 11:47AM
I see cool componants are selling Up printers.

Random Precision
Re: cool componants up print
March 09, 2011 02:02PM
The design an engineering of the Up is really impressive, clean & well thought out layout of the printer... Love the automatic feeder system, which the files are available on thingiverse. The only drag is the build platform is a bit small, especially in comparison to the mendel (about 5.5" sq in), also expensive in comparison...
March 09, 2011 04:07PM
In practice, their autofeeder isn't actually needed so long as you have a fairlead and spooled material. Some of their blog pictures show the machines being burned in without feed motors. I blew up my feeder mosfet and despite having repaired it, I continue to run without the autofeeder. I've run a few pounds of material without it and am convinced I don't need it - it also makes the machine a tiny bit quieter and removes a point of failure (if the mechanism fails mid print, the print will also fail.

Certainly more expensive than Reprap but cheaper than any other assembled machines. I also like that my mother could use it (I've written off the cost as due to software).
March 09, 2011 06:34PM
I guess it's suppose to ensure that there is no tension on the extruder and thus allows a constant and smooth extrusion- but either way, this thing just runs and runs :-)
Yes, the build plattform is a bit small, but the print quality has blown me away. For larger things I want to build some reprap machine in the future... also to ensure I have something to print if the UP fails on me :-)

I am designing a pair of earrings for my girlfriend every day, and 0,2mm details, 0,6mm walls, 0,5mm holes, all possible (though sometimes not so trivial and needs some tweaking of the model- the downside of limited print settings). I hope the reprap projects will take the best ideas of the new commercial machines and profit from it.

Anyway, it's good to know that there is another source for 1.7mm ABS within europe, and perhaps it will get some things rolling in the 3d printer market...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login