Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few people looking to make a RepRap/Strap . . .

Posted by Infallibel 
A few people looking to make a RepRap/Strap . . .
April 10, 2011 01:19AM
A friend and I are looking to make a RepRap and are a bit overwhelmed by the diversity of designs out there. I would very much appreciate some recommendations based on our skill levels, goals, and resources:

Team Skills: Woodworking, Mathematics/Physics/Programming (B.S. in Engineering Discipline level), Limited CNC milling experience

Goals: Developing hands-on mechanical and electrical assembly skills, embedded programming skills, learning as much as possible, at the end having a flexible design that is open to modification

Resources: Currently have very little in the way of tools, especially metric. At school, can definitely access a few 3-axis CNC mills for limited time. There are also a lot of manual machines but they are under the control of a department we aren't well acquainted with so it may be difficult to access those. I'm prepared to spend a modest amount (~$1000) on tools so long as they will be helpful for other electromechanical projects. We have lots and lots of time, and would prefer to solve problems for cheap for the learning experience as much as for cost savings.

Probably the most difficult decision from looking at the wiki is the electronics options. The more DIY options sound great but I'm not sure if they would be too difficult at our current soldering dexterity level.

Thanks in advance!
Re: A few people looking to make a RepRap/Strap . . .
April 10, 2011 10:48AM
I recommend building a Prusa Mendel, it's not AS long of a route as building a repstrap 1st (Which I did) but you'll run into enough issues and learning experiences still. However, if you really want to take the long road... look at building a 1x2 repstrap or the wolfstrap.

electronics, you can make your own ramps or gen7. with the ramps there are different levels that you can jump in at... decided if you want to buy a board etc. Gen7 is meant to be complete DIY. the DIY options are single layer through board soldering which anyone can do with patience.

extruder, I would recommend buying the hot end for the extruder before trying to make one. It can be difficult getting the professional ones made that were done by skilled hands.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login