Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Reprapper (electronics question)

Posted by Hobbes20xx 
New Reprapper (electronics question)
April 14, 2011 10:04PM
Hey guys, i just decided to build the Prusa version of the reprap and the mechanical side is going well, however, i was wondering what electronics to choose from. I read the wiki page on electronics, but it did not specify price/ ease of use/ availability on the electronics. As far as i know, RAMPS, Gen 3, or Gen 6 seem to be the best choice for me. I am capable of circuit board work but have never done anything on this scale before. Which is the cheapest and moderately easy to obtain in the U.S.? Thanks!
Re: New Reprapper (electronics question)
April 14, 2011 10:37PM
I have struggled with Gen 3 so I don't recommend it. It uses half-stepping controllers which makes a lot more noise that the microstepping controllers in the RAMPS or Gen 6. Gen 6 only does 1/8 steps as far as I know while RAMPS goes down to 1/16 steps. Even though it works most of the time, my Gen 3 (Techzone Remix) has had issues with either stalling while printing or even losing temperature. It might be a firmware issue but I'm not 100% sure. Just a couple of days ago, I started using Reprap host and MB firmware released on 12/21/2010 and so far it seems to be more stable. Anyway, I already bought the parts for RAMPS to be sure.

Between RAMPS and Gen 6, I think RAMPS is the better way to go. It uses an off-the-shelf Arduino Mega 2560 along with a shield for the pololu boards. You have a range of choices from a complete kit that's fully assembled, to bare circuit boards and you can even use a stripboard to make the shield.
April 14, 2011 11:24PM
+1 for RAMPS
April 15, 2011 12:58AM
Another recommendation for RAMPS here. It's great. There's a large range of firmwares to run on it, for that I use [www.thingiverse.com] . It prints so nicely.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
April 16, 2011 12:56AM
i guess ill go with RAMPS then guys, Thanks! Now one question...where can i buy the parts?!
April 16, 2011 01:15AM
[ultimachine.com]

arduino mega and pololu you might be able to get locally or maybe from polulu directly woudl be best.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login