Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LED strips they can get a bit hot

Posted by DjDemonD 
LED strips they can get a bit hot
February 23, 2018 02:51PM

This was functioning normally, but being attached to the top of my enclosed machine to some foil bubble wrap type insulation obviously does not offer the small amount of cooling these LED's need not to get a little too warm.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions

Re: LED strips they can get a bit hot
February 23, 2018 02:57PM
Good to know.

How hot was your interior temp?
February 23, 2018 03:30PM
Only 45 deg C. I've put some new ones in with a strip of aluminium foil under them a little wider than the led strip, but fixing them to some flat aluminium bar would be better still.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2018 03:33PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
VDX
February 23, 2018 04:15PM
... or add a shunt resistor to reduce the current ... will be slightly less light, though ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 23, 2018 04:50PM
I mounted mine on aluminum L stock to dissipate heat. Each light bar has 12x 1W LEDs running at about 10W total power.

I printed ABS clips to hold the LED board against the aluminum. The hook on the bottom grips the back of the L and locks it in place.

The aluminum gets a little warm, but not hot.

No, I didn't use any thermal grease.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2018 04:51PM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login