Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice Please - Tip jam into bed

Posted by owism8 
Advice Please - Tip jam into bed
May 01, 2011 08:26AM
Hello All.
Please see this video of my hot-tip jamming into the bed.

http://omemon.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/first-print-test-fail-tip-jam/

I believe there are two reasons for this, but I don't know what it is.

1) The hot tip wasn’t hot enough to melt the plastic as it was being extruded, thus causing the plastic to push the whole tip downwards.

2) The extruder is just too fast with the repsnapper g-code. This is my stronger opinion because the tip was at a confirmed 232C when printing. I am trying to still resolve the SourceForge ver. 40 issue with the Techzone firmware. I’m thinking I want to just downgrade to SF ver. 39 and try out its G-code.

Any advice?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 08:26AM by owism8.

[omemon.wordpress.com]
Re: Advice Please - Tip jam into bed
May 01, 2011 09:48AM
I am having the same problem with my techzone laser cut mendel, I sloved the slipping problem by machining alum gears for the motors and pinning them with 1/16" pin. The wooden gears they send with the kit are a joke.
What computer are you using? I,m trying to use windows xp, the only program that I can make work is repsnapper,and 3dtoolchain.com g-code.
The problems I am having with that is when I send in my .stl file, they change it to the wrong orertation and the g-code is useless.
Very Fusterating
May 01, 2011 09:56AM
well i fixed the gear slippage by just gluing it on with loctite after notching the motor axle, its working great so far: [omemon.files.wordpress.com]

For the software, Im using repsnapper. What you have to do is change the orientation of the figure in the "Input file" tab. On the bottom of that screen there are Buttons to rotate the Object under the title "Object Rotation" just play around with those X and Y buttons until the rotation is set.

Please help if you know the solution to my problem in the first post thank you!
May 01, 2011 10:47AM
How did you adjust your z-height when at the home position? I use a sheet of paper (post-it note) which is about 0.1 mm as a feeler gauge between the tip and the bed. But I do it with the tip hot since I found that due to thermal expansion, the tip is closer to the bed when hot than when cold.

Also, I don't have the same extruder as you but I don't it should be so fragile. But I stop it immediately if I see that it's crashing into the bed. It should never make contact with the bed.
May 01, 2011 10:53AM
I adjust it same way after I read a previous post by you with that method. I have screws on my bed with springs under so i adjust the height accordingly.

The way its connected to the x-axis carriage is like this: Using the extruder bracket: [reprap.org]

It gets pushed out of there. Is that normal for the extruder to push the tip down out of that bracket? I have it tightened fully, but no other supports.

Is the problem in the Repsnapper extruder gcode? How do I change that? SF40 doesnt work with my firmware, can i just use SF39?

Thanks all! thumbs up
May 01, 2011 11:05AM
In repsnapper, under print options in the printer settings tab, there's a setting for extrusion multiplier. Did you try turning this down? I assume this is in terms of ratio to the feed rate. You may have to set it well below 1 to account for the fact that your firmware may not be set to the correct e_steps_per_mm.

Also, check in the g-code section under the start tab and make sure that there isn't an M104 or M109 command that's setting your tip temperature to a lower value. You may want to double check the result tab after generating you g-code to make sure also. I assume that you manually set your extruder temp and do an extrusion test after it heats up before printing.

I hope someone with a Huxley can answer you question about the x-carriage mount.
May 01, 2011 11:13AM
Thank you so much Brnrd. I'll let you know how it goes. I really gotta do my college research before monday so Im trying to keep myself away from reprap so I can get some homework done.

Any huxley users have the same issue of the tip slipping out of the holder?
May 01, 2011 01:59PM
Ok so my tip didnt slip this time I tested a print. The Techzone engineer Kurt sent me a website he is working on : [www.3dtoolchain.com] , I used it to generate Gcode for the huxley.

The print was fine in the beginning then my X axis started getting stuck in one direction.

Here is the video: [vimeo.com]

Here is a pic of the print: [omemon.files.wordpress.com]

Any advice?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 03:50PM by owism8.
May 01, 2011 04:18PM
It does look like your x-axis is getting stuck and missing steps when going to the right. But you shouldn't need to put any graphite powder on the smooth rods since you have bearings on the x-carriage. Perhaps the bearings are too tight on the smooth rods.
May 01, 2011 06:23PM
They aren't too tight, they have space to move up and down a little.

I'll try something out tonight and post as soon as I get another print!

Thanks Brnrd.
May 02, 2011 01:01AM
Ok i found out my problem

Some of the gear teeth were dull which hooked up to the belt on the xaxis. I solved this by hot gluing to fill in those dull spaces.

Heres the good print! [omemon.wordpress.com]

Also here is how I hot glued: [omemon.wordpress.com]

I also tried adding plastic guards on the x-carriage, but saw that didn't stop the slippage, so thats where I deducted the gear teeth issue.

To reduce the ooz I will try to increase the Z axis speed. I can't reduce the temp too much, its really nice right now. Any other suggestions?

Thanks all! sleep time cool smiley

[omemon.wordpress.com]
May 02, 2011 11:45AM
There is a layer thickness param. Bump it up in small increments.
May 02, 2011 07:47PM
Im using [www.3dtoolchain.com] right now because I don't have the new volumetric firmware and I really wanted to print fast. I will do SF later down the line once I get the new firmware.

So out of all of the following, whcih one could I change?

3dtoolchain gcode tool
Check this box if you are using Volumetric Firmware
Start Speed for Z Movements (mm/min)
Max Speed for Z Movements (mm/min)
Amount to Shift the Part on the X Axis (mm)
Amount to Shift the Part on the Y Axis (mm)
Height to Start Printing at (mm)
Multiplyer to Scale the X Size By (% 1=100%)
Multiplyer to Scale the Y Size By (% 1=100%)
Multiplyer to Scale the Z Size By (% 1=100%)
Multiplyer to Scale the print speed by (% 1=100%)
Multiplyer to Scale the extrusion amount by (% 1=100%)
Speed to back off the filament at while moving without printing (mm/min)
Distance to back off the filament while moving without printing (mm)
Distance to return after backing off (mm)
Temperature to set the Tip to (°C)
Delay time to allow tip to come up to temperature (Seconds)
Temperature to set tip to after print is done (°C)
Speed multiplier for first layer (% 1=100%)
Enter number of this part to print (Integer)
Spacing center of part to center of part on X axis (mm)
Spacing center of part to center of part on Y axis (mm)
May 05, 2011 08:06PM
Ok this problem is occuring again.

Today my tip jammed into the bed. I made sure all the plastic was reversed and tightened it onto the x axis carriage again.
Then for the second print, the tip was fine, but the plastic guide on the external Wade extruder side came out!
So pressure is being applied at these two spots and its finding its way out either way - through the tip or through the extruder plastic guide.

What should I do! The only thing I did different from my last print was i increased the z axis speed from 60mm/min to 80mm/min (whcih should not cause this right?)

Anywho. Im stumped. Ideas? Thanks all!
May 05, 2011 10:40PM
Turn the current all the way down on the extruded driver. With the tip cold, send an extrude forward command and adjust the current until the motor just barely stops vibrating/clicking rapidly. It should turn just enough to put tension on the nozzle, but the current should be low enough to allow the motor to stall and spring backward to release the tension. At higher print speeds it is not uncommon for the extruded to stall, as the nozzle opening is only so big.
May 05, 2011 11:09PM
hm I tried that and it still is pushing the filament out at high extrude rates.

Im going to change the extrusion amount from 1.625 to 1 and try it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login