Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with setting filament diameter in Cura 4.0

Posted by David J 
Problem with setting filament diameter in Cura 4.0
May 03, 2019 08:35AM
I used Cura quite a lot, up to the latest version, 4.0 - but now it seems incredibly difficult to set the filament diameter when slicing a part.

Nearly all of my filaments are slightly different sizes, so every time I plan to print a part with a specific filament I need to set its diameter. In the past I would just change the diameter in the 'materials' part of the setup, but that option seems to have disappeared. I have set all options to 'visible', so there's nothing concealed.

This may well be a user-ability error on my behalf, but it's very frustrating as, generally, I quite like using Cura. Can anyone tell me if I'm missing something here that's really obvious?
Re: Problem with setting filament diameter in Cura 4.0
May 03, 2019 02:56PM
David J
I used Cura quite a lot, up to the latest version, 4.0 - but now it seems incredibly difficult to set the filament diameter when slicing a part.

Nearly all of my filaments are slightly different sizes, so every time I plan to print a part with a specific filament I need to set its diameter. In the past I would just change the diameter in the 'materials' part of the setup, but that option seems to have disappeared. I have set all options to 'visible', so there's nothing concealed.

This may well be a user-ability error on my behalf, but it's very frustrating as, generally, I quite like using Cura. Can anyone tell me if I'm missing something here that's really obvious?

This option can now be found in the 'Machine' settings when you go to the Cura 4 settings smiling smiley (On a Mac it's under Menu > Preferences > Printer > Machine settings).

I think they want you to just specify the filament size you approx. use and then create different profiles from there. I personally tweak the E-steps/mm instead of tweaking the filament size since this both influences everything that happens during a print and is tweakable live so you don't have to go back into the slicer, generate a new gcode file etc etc. Best option i.m.o. if you have a printer with an LCD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2019 02:57PM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
May 03, 2019 04:28PM
Ohmarinus

This option can now be found in the 'Machine' settings when you go to the Cura 4 settings smiling smiley (On a Mac it's under Menu > Preferences > Printer > Machine settings).

I think they want you to just specify the filament size you approx. use and then create different profiles from there. I personally tweak the E-steps/mm instead of tweaking the filament size since this both influences everything that happens during a print and is tweakable live so you don't have to go back into the slicer, generate a new gcode file etc etc. Best option i.m.o. if you have a printer with an LCD.

I had found that setting - but it seems to be a stupid place to put something that's always changing. In previous versions it took me just 5 or 10 seconds to adjust the filament diameter - now it's a total PITA. sad smiley
May 03, 2019 06:08PM
David J
Ohmarinus

I had found that setting - but it seems to be a stupid place to put something that's always changing. In previous versions it took me just 5 or 10 seconds to adjust the filament diameter - now it's a total PITA. sad smiley

I understand where you're coming from, up until one week ago I was also always measuring the diameter with digital calipers but I think the reason why they put it in there is exactly because they think it's useless to change filament sizes and it is better to compensate in another way (probably). However, I'm not sure what they want you to tune. I just startes tuning E-steps/mm since I found out about it in a guide by Triffid Hunter:
[reprap.org]

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login