Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motors and gearing

Posted by stanleytanser 
Motors and gearing
June 02, 2011 05:23AM
Hello just got some motors in for my Prusa build. I asked the seller to remove the gears from the motors, but I guess he forgot to, so I am now considering keeping them on as they look a lot cleaner than the plastic cogs.
Does anyone know if these gears could be used on my Reprap or is the to many teeth?
I also could not work out what the holding torque on these motors were, does anyone know how to work out the torque from this label?
[www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2011 05:24AM by stanleytanser.
Re: Motors and gearing
June 02, 2011 06:17AM
I can't find any mention of specs for that motor; contact the manufacturer for specs: [www.astrosyn.com]
You'll have to find the belt to match the gear, and it does look quite a small pitch. However, it is the best way to fit a gear to a motor - everything else will break before it slips, and no need for a grub screw or filing a flat on the motor shaft. It's probably meant for commercial printers, that's why it's sold as an Epson replacement part [www.blackmoreit.com]
Zapp Automation has NEMA17 stepper motors from £10! [www.slidesandballscrews.com]
If you already have belts and gears with your Prusa, you can remove the gear with something like this: [www.thinkrc.com]
You just need to get something between the gear and the motor housing and push on the motor shaft, as the gear is just a push on friction fit. Don't lever between the motor housing and the motor shaft, it can damage the motor. Other ways are to hold the gear with pliers and hammer out the motor shaft with a drift, or the way I did it - find something that fits under the gear (a metal plate with a slot in it) and press out the shaft with the blunt end of a drill in my bench drill press. Or if you have a local model/radio control shop they can usually do it for you. Refitting a pinion gear can be done relatively easily with a G (or is it C?) clamp.
June 02, 2011 07:19AM
Thanks for all the advice, I decided to take the gears off in the end as they would not fit the T5 belts, I managed to get them off by cutting the gears off with a dremel, although no the best way as the motors get quite hot I think it should do the trick.
June 02, 2011 11:39AM
For future reference, a bolt splitter works to split the gears off of a stepper without damage to the shaft, and does not produce metallic dust. If you have a Harbor Freights nearby, they sell them for $5.00
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login