Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder motor resets the extruder controller

Posted by hazuki 
Extruder motor resets the extruder controller
June 25, 2011 07:36PM
Hi all. I am using the Gen3 electronics on my repstrap. I have an extruder controller 2.2 and a motherboard 1.2 from Makerbot. I am running replicatorg0024 the latest firmware for the electronics. I have this problems where when I try to extrude material (extruder motor forward or reverse), within a couple of seconds after initiating the command, the extruder will halt and the extruder controller becomes unresponsive (the extruder heater also stops working). The motor I have is the brushless motor from Makerbot that comes with the plastruder. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I tried soldering a 1nF cap between the motor leads to get rid of some of the noise but this seemed to do nothing.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Extruder motor resets the extruder controller
June 25, 2011 08:00PM
Attached is a screenshot showing how the temperature reading is being screwed up by the motor operation. I have tried changing the RJ45 cable and I tried plugging it into different ports on the motherboard. I have even tried soldering in the optional 100 ohm terminator resistors on both the motherboard and extruder controller to minimize reflections that would upset communications.
Attachments:
open | download - noise.PNG (44.1 KB)
June 25, 2011 09:04PM
I think I may have fixed the problem. The motor went bad. After replacing it with a new one, the problem went away.
June 26, 2011 02:19AM
You need a circuit like this [hydraraptor.blogspot.com] to suppress motor noise. I don't know why Makerbot never included it in the cupcake kit. It would have saved so many problems people had with unreliable comms.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login