Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepSnapper Mirroring?

Posted by bdcannon 
RepSnapper Mirroring?
June 26, 2011 03:54AM
I just printed the reprap badge from thingiverse. Pretty sweet and a good quality print except the print seems to be mirrored. As in the reprap text was backwards.

Skeinforge created a tool path that was correct but I just don't get it. Photo is attached. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again

[bdc]
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20110626_020826.jpg (218.6 KB)
Re: RepSnapper Mirroring?
June 26, 2011 06:41AM
I'd say you have your x axis the wrong way around, meaning when you tell it to go in the positive direction it goes in the negative. To fix it you need to invert the x direction in the firmware, and move the endstop to the other correct end of the axis.

Nice print though smiling smiley

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
June 26, 2011 07:48AM
Yes very nice printing. I agree with the x axis being backwards.

What is your machine? Electronics? Setup? Is it a kit? From where?

Thanks
June 26, 2011 09:33AM
Flip the connector on your X Axis Stepper motor, and this will correct the flipping, assuming it was mirrored on X, not Y that is.
June 26, 2011 12:39PM
I was thinking that too, being that my x axis was traveling in the wrong direction, but when I tell it to travel positive, it does travel to the right. I'm going to dive into the firmware settings and see if it was something I accidentally tweaked when I was calibrating.

My machine is a Prusa Mendel, with Ramps 1.2 and the Sprinter firmware. It wasn't a kit though, I scrounged parts over a few months my last year of undergrad.

More on the matter later.
June 26, 2011 01:41PM
If +ve X moves the head to the right then that is correct. +ve Y should move the bed to the front. Perhaps your y axis is reversed.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 26, 2011 03:16PM
Could you post a link to the file I cannot find it?

June 26, 2011 05:43PM
Yep definitely had a "duh" moment. It wasn't the x axis that was flipped, it was in fact the y axis. Now I don't have to read stuff with a mirror.

I'm attaching the stl file for the "crest". Also if you check out Makerbot castle on thingiverse, there's some other pretty sweet objects related to this.

Thanks again

[bdc]
Attachments:
open | download - Coat-Of-Arms-RepRap-2.stl (417.2 KB)
June 27, 2011 12:36AM
Nice I printed one but it's nowhere near as nice as your will put up a picture tomorrow.

Here is my first attempt, notice the surface dragging under the writing, I don't know what is causing that yet and I need to change my retract settings I think so that the centers of the letters get printed properly.

Don't look at the infill overlap I know that is wrong and it's my fault I changed the setting and forgot to change it back but at least I know what that one is.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve this print using SF41 and Gen6 I'm listening

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 03:55PM by NelsonRap.

June 28, 2011 03:58PM
I printed a second one it looks much better, but still got a slight drag on the surface at the bottom right corner

June 28, 2011 10:17PM
I think Im having the same problem.

I had to draw something backwards in order for it to be printed correctly, see my post: [omemon.wordpress.com]

But if I change the y axis motor wiring, wont that change the direction of the "home" Right now home is correctly bringing the base back home... so then what should I do?

Thanks
June 29, 2011 01:52AM
owism: your min x endstop should be on the left and your min y at the back.
Home is at the front left of the plate.
Is that how your bot works?
June 29, 2011 04:52AM
A simple hack to get things to print properly, without rebuilding an axis would be to simply swap the wires between your X and Y axis.
June 29, 2011 07:45AM
Greg Frost: My home is currently located Left back. So I guess I need to put the optoend on the back of the machine, no the front.

Front is where the Y motor is located and thats where the Huxley instructions told me to install the y optoend.

Thanks for the advice. I'll move the y opto end.
June 29, 2011 08:09AM
The limits are normally at the same end of the axis as the motor with the y motor at the back and the x motor on the left.

If the y motor is at the front then the x-motor needs to be on the right. I.e. the whole machine is rotated 180 rather than one axis flipped on its own, as that causes mirrored objects. Swapping X and Y also mirrors objects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2011 08:09AM by nophead.

June 29, 2011 08:25AM
So is it OK to just switch either the x or the y optos after reversing the y wire or the x wire settings, right?
June 29, 2011 06:43PM
oswim8, You can just move one of the optos to the other end of the carriage, without moving the motor, and then adjust the wiring so that moving in the - direction moves toward the opto.

Or, you can bodge it, and just swap the x and y axis around (y on the extruder carriage, and x on the build platform).
June 29, 2011 08:11PM
Thanks!
June 29, 2011 10:46PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The limits are normally at the same end of the
> axis as the motor with the y motor at the back and
> the x motor on the left.
>
> If the y motor is at the front then the x-motor
> needs to be on the right. I.e. the whole machine
> is rotated 180 rather than one axis flipped on its
> own, as that causes mirrored objects. Swapping X
> and Y also mirrors objects.

It doesnt matter which side the motor is on, it is where you put your endstops that matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2011 10:47PM by Greg Frost.
June 30, 2011 05:15AM
True, but on the Sells Mendel the Y limit switch is attached to the Y motor bracket and the X wiring comes down a filament attached to the X motor bracket so the limit switch needs to at that end as well. The Prusa is more flexible, but the wiring will be messy if it goes to the other end of the axis.

December 09, 2012 04:58PM
I am having the same problem with mirroring, although i cant figure out which axis needs to be changed? I have attached a photo, the hole on the left in the photo is actually ment to be on the right?
does anyone know if this is the x axis or the y? and if so how do i change this?
Attachments:
open | download - photo.JPG (533.4 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login