Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wow, firmware help!(RAMPS)

Posted by Hobbes20xx 
Wow, firmware help!(RAMPS)
June 27, 2011 02:20PM
Hey guys, i just set up my whole bot, now im trying to actually get it moving. i want to use either the replicateorg software (with teacup firmware) or the reprap.org fived_gcode setup. i can get the replicateorg software rujnning but when i try to jog the axis it will only let me jog the x axis, and when i press "x-axis" it will jog the E0 stepper driver carrier on my board! i think this is a software problem, so i was looking into switching to the reprap.org firmware/software, bujt i cant find a write-up for it using the ramps board, just the sanguino boards. HELP!

(linux 10.10 32-bit, ramps v 1.3 from ultimachine.org)

Thanks ahead of time.
Re: Wow, firmware help!(RAMPS)
June 27, 2011 02:35PM
Teacup does not have a Config for RAMPS 1.3 so you will have to change the pinouts in the config or use sprinter which has a Config for RAMPS 1.3

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 27, 2011 06:32PM
On the teacup wiki page it specifically says it supports RAMPS boards?
June 27, 2011 06:44PM
RAMPS 1.3 has been out for less than a month. You can ask Johnny at Ultimachine to make a config for it the same way he did with sprinter. Otherwise it is up to you or one of the other people who just purchased a 1.3 to make and submit it to the Teacup team.. And like rest of the wiki Teacups page is out of date, but luckly you are now a developer and can change it yourself whenever you come across a mistake.

The changes should not be hard just look at the RAMPS 1.3 wiki page for its pin definitions and make the changes in your config.h

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
June 27, 2011 07:27PM
Alright, i tried changing teacup to support ramps 1.3, but half the pin definitions dont exist and i dont know enough C to fix the massive amount of errors i create by changing the pin definitions. theoretically, can i just load sprinter and be good to go with replicator G?
June 27, 2011 07:51PM
The truth is that most firmwares don't like having the job sent to them from ReplicatorG. You can use ReplicatorG to create the Gcode and then send it to the machine using Pronterface or a serial terminal which work every time. The thing you should know is that ReplicatorG is just an interface to skeinforge and you will have to learn skeinforge to use it. The default profiles are for Makerbots and will not work with anything else.

So my advice is load Sprinter on your board.

Use ReplicatorG as an interface to skeinforge.

Use ReplicatorG's panel to test things

Click generate Gcode

Copy any of the cupcake without heated bed profile.

Edit said Skeinforge profile:
First choose a profile for your plastic type at the top ( ABS or PLA )
then
turn on Dimension
turn off homing
Delete the start.gcode and end.gcode from the preface tab
turn on activate speed and add flow rate

click save and close the Skeinforge window

click generate Gcode in ReplicatorG

Then use Pronterface to send the file to the machine.

oops forgot
[github.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 08:00PM by Sublime.

June 27, 2011 07:58PM
The reason you had a hard time with the pin numbers is because Teacup uses the port number of the atmega2560 not the arduino pin number. Sorry I should have said something first. You would need to look at the data sheet for the atmega2560 to find the port number or look at the file arduino_1280.h in the teacup folder it has all the pins listed.

June 27, 2011 08:14PM
thanks for all the help! i have sprinter running on my ramps setup currently, and can control the x y and z axis in a positive direction, but not reverse? also, the extruder wont work....hmmm how do you test your heater through replicatorg?
June 27, 2011 08:28PM
The reason it moves in one direction only could be your soft limits which would allow you to move forward and back to the same spot but not back further. But more likely is you need to invert your endstops in the firmware.

The extruder may be just that you need to enter a high value for the rpm then click forward.

For the heater just type in a temperature and wait a few seconds to see if the graph goes up.

June 27, 2011 09:10PM
heater works, and inverting the endstops made it so i can go forward and backwards, but the axis' tend to mess up (i press jog x and it moves x and y, but not everytime, and z always goes 100mm no matter what)! as for the high-rpm value... how high? i entered two in the 100-200 range and nothing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 09:22PM by Hobbes20xx.
June 27, 2011 09:23PM
Ramps 1.3 has 5 drivers two for extruders, have you tried connecting the extruder up to the other one?

If you look in pins.h of sprinter it has a RAMPS section that has all the pin assignments if you just want to confirm which it uses for E. It also has a define for RAMPS 1.3 because the default is for 1.2 and that may need to be changed.

June 27, 2011 09:46PM
E0 (what im plugged to) is the default for the extruder. still nothing...i tried a different stepper carrier, and nothing... the define is changed to RAMPS 1.3..what am i missing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 09:47PM by Hobbes20xx.
June 27, 2011 10:02PM
Not sure why E is not working, you could try sending the command from Repsnappers Gcode panel by typing in G1 E20 F600 just to see if it is a ReplicatorG issue or firmware issue. The Other problems you are having with the Z may be a Z_steps_per_mm issue in the firmware.

June 27, 2011 10:45PM
im assuming it is a replicateorg issue beacuse whne i try to send the feed command it does not show the e extruder having a change in value like it does with x,y, and z. i would test in repsnapper but i dont have the program
June 27, 2011 10:49PM
also, fixed the Z axis issue, for whatever reason the firmware had the steps per mm 3200/1.25 (or something) changed it to 87.25 or whatever (same as x and y)...i think i might be ready to print?
June 27, 2011 10:50PM
June 27, 2011 10:53PM
Z won't be the same as the rest but now that its close you can use the control panel to jog it 10mm while measuring its movement then use this [calculator.josefprusa.cz] to calculate the correct value and then retest and do it again until its perfect.

June 27, 2011 11:35PM
alright, i think i calibrated it properly. lets see if this works..
October 14, 2011 11:38AM
Hi;

My name is Barry.

I also am one of those Botmill owners sad smiley (Axis 2) RepRap kit.

I started putting my machine together back around May but I am still having some problems.

Repsnapper v. (two different Versions)
Ramps 1.3
Arduino MEGA 2560
uploaded Sprinter firmware (changed the configuration.h file so that selected '33' for RAMPS 1.3) kliment / Sprinter
downloaded/installed the Arduinio driver software
Windows XP pro with up to date software and service packs
Wades Extruder

Some of my current settings ------
//// Endstop Settings
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors
// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.

const bool ENDSTOPS_INVERTING = true; //set to true to invert the logic of the endstops

//// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR 1
#define Y_HOME_DIR 1
#define Z_HOME_DIR 1

const bool min_software_endstops = false; //If true, axis won't move to coordinates less than zero.
const bool max_software_endstops = true; //If true, axis won't move to coordinates greater than the defined lengths below.
const int X_MAX_LENGTH = 200;
const int Y_MAX_LENGTH = 200;
const int Z_MAX_LENGTH = 100;

I had some of the same problems like the others here with the timeouts but also found that if I also unplug the serial cable counted to 10 plug it in counted to 10 it seems to work. The problem I am having now is that it doesn't seem to respond to the optical end stops. They seem wired correctly and the local LED's react when blocked but it doesn't seem to effect the travel of the any of the axis. They are on the Max connectors on the Ramps board. I thought maybe it was the mechanical internal pull up resistors setting but when I disable it in the software it had no effect.

The other thing is the Extruder didn't want to move it just buzzed until I greatly reduced the speed and length adjustments. I did remove the straps to set the motors at 1/8 step since I don't think these nema 17 can do more than 1/8 step. Not sure on that but that might screw up the normal speed and length settings I guess. Should I put them back on?

Can someone point me in the right direction ?

Thanks
October 15, 2011 05:45AM
You need to comment out the #define ENDSTOPPULLUPS statement since the optical endstops has built-in pull-up resistors. As the comment states, you need this only if you're using mechanical endstops.
//#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

Unless you installed your endstops different from most people, you also need to change the direction to MIN.
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

Your problem with the extruder could be either improperly set trimpot in the Pololu, wrong steps per mm so you're extruding too fast, or incorrect temperature setting on the nozzle. The motor should be able to work from 1/2 to 1/16 steps. Your extruder steps per mm setting need to be changed when you change the step size setting in the Pololu.
October 15, 2011 09:37AM
Thanks brnrd.

I had tried that and didn't see any difference at the time. I was changing lots of things at the same time. Let me regroup. I have just been guessing at it.

Thanks for taking the time.
October 15, 2011 11:54AM
Thanks again brnrd that seems to have taken care of the XYZ and homing.You wouldn't believe how long I was playing with that.

I dropped the the extruder steps way down the old Johonnyr version seems to be at the right speed without changing anything in the configuration h. I was a little surprised to see it take off so fast when I tryed it with the kliment-Sprinter-5869358 file.

//// Calibration variables
// X, Y, Z, E steps per unit - Metric Prusa Mendel with Wade extruder:
float axis_steps_per_unit[] = {80, 80, 3200/1.25,50}; // was {80, 80, 3200/1.25,700};

When you say "Your problem with the extruder could be either improperly set trimpot in the Pololu" I am assuming you mean the current limiting pot of the little stepper motor board and I am also guessing that you mean it's effect would be to run slower if it was having problems with a setting that was too low to provide enough current. Have I got that right or is there something I am not seeing. I am pretty new to this. I have the capability to ask some really dumb stuff here.

Am I missing something to activate the Extruder heat (PID?). I can't seem to get the nozzle to heat up? I put a meter across the Thermistor and I see 100k. I am not getting any readings back for temperature and no voltage across the 0 extruber temperature terminal screws. Here is what I have for settings. .

//// Thermistor settings:
// 1 is 100k thermistor
// 2 is 200k thermistor
// 3 is mendel-parts thermistor
// 4 is 10k thermistor
// 5 is ParCan supplied 104GT-2 100K
// 6 is EPCOS 100k
// 7 is 100k Honeywell thermistor 135-104LAG-J01
#define THERMISTORHEATER 1
#define THERMISTORBED 1

//// The minimal temperature defines the temperature below which the heater will not be enabled
#define MINTEMP 5

//// Experimental max temp
// When temperature exceeds max temp, your heater will be switched off.
// This feature exists to protect your hotend from overheating accidentally, but *NOT* from thermistor short/failure!
// You should use MINTEMP for thermistor short/failure protection.
#define MAXTEMP 150 //was set to 275. I am going to try 150 to see if it comes on and seems to work or not.

// Select one of these only to define how the nozzle temp is read.
#define HEATER_USES_THERMISTOR
//#define HEATER_USES_AD595
//#define HEATER_USES_MAX6675

I also tryed activating the power switch on the printer tab but the extruder isn't heating up. Could you tell me what I am missing?
October 15, 2011 12:16PM
Just found that the Thermistor header was plugged into the wrong side of the pins on the Ramps board. I have readings now and when I kick it on the heater it comes right up. I should have checked out a little more before I asked. I just saw the PID warning and thought I might check.

Thanks
October 15, 2011 07:55PM
You're welcome. Progress!

As far as the extruder steps per mm, I forgot to mention earlier that you should switch to using Pronterface which comes with Kliment's Printrun instead of Repsnapper. I've found this to be a better host software. think Repsnapper still has the default set too high since it expects the old way for specifying extruder rate which is in terms of steps per mm of extruded filament while Pronterface expects the new way that is used by Skeinforge 40 and later of steps per mm of feed. That's why it was extruding too fast when you used Repsnapper with the original settings that came with Sprinter. Set the rate at around 60 mm/m in either sw to start with.

The trimpot in the Pololu basically limits the torque of the motors. If it's set too low, then your stepper will miss steps. You can see the motor stutter and you can hear it buzz when this happens. If it's set too high, then there'll be too much current through the motors and it will run too hot. It doesn't affect the speed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2011 10:31PM by brnrd.
October 16, 2011 05:20PM
Thanks brnrd I saw people were using Pronterface but like a lot of the public stuff is seemed complicated but I found a YouTube Video on how to install it. So it is next on my list after some basic calibration.

Thanks again
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login