Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why are filament spools so expensive compared to pellets?

Posted by ElectricMucus 
Why are filament spools so expensive compared to pellets?
July 02, 2011 10:26AM
I haven't yet understood what makes filament so much more expensive to buy compared to the pellet form.

Both are extruded from the melt as a String of plastic. With the filament it is wound up and with the pellets it is cut.
Both require one additional electric motor.

Transport costs could be higher for the Filament (maybe not since the pellets do not line up in the bags and you still get alot of air)

What else?
Is it just production "Volume" which doesn't really count since the material must be in filament form at some part of the production process anyway.
Or is there an overall 1000% markup?

Am I missing something?
Re: Why are filament spools so expensive compared to pellets?
July 02, 2011 11:23AM
The resin comes in pellet form from the manufacturer of the plastic. Converting it to a filament is a secondary process, so you are paying for the machine time of the company that owns the extruder, a big expensive machine that uses a lot of power. That is why 1.75mm cost more than 3.0mm, it takes longer to extrude. Making filament is only a niche market. Before reprap is was just for welding rod used to repair car bumpers, etc.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 02, 2011 01:16PM
"Niche Market" just means that there is less volume and thus a tremendous markup somewhere in the supply chain.
But except for merchants most of those companies who sell filaments also produce the plastic itself. At least they sell the pellets too.

What bugs me is as said before that the process isn't that different, both come from cylindrical extrusion.
How I understand it a machine used to make pellets could also make filament (heck it even does, you just have to roll it up).
The cooling process could be a little different or will likely to be more complicated but I don't see how that would affect prices to that extent.
The power needed to make pellets or filaments is likely to be exactly the same.

I can come up with alot more different reason why current filament prices are simply usury.
As it is now the filament is just a product not a resource. Not that this surprises me much...

But: Right now every single online shop selling filament seems to get it from the same or a few sources. Everywhere you see the same damn black spool and the knowledge of where the factory is it is guarded like life depends on it.

Several "manufacturers" just seem to be opportunistic third party resellers!

Alone the fact that the mendel-parts guys can offer 1.75mm pla in tiny package sizes at half the cost/weight of the big spool, 3mm prices elsewhere using a university partnership at a puny volume lets me rage.
I feel exploited! angry smiley

Lets hope this will change in the future... hopefully some day the volume will be high enough that the factories jump in... Imho it would be already that way if people wouldn't be so damn greedy. (or stupid)

The only reason of why the filaments are so expensive I can come up with is if the filament is only extruded one piece per die and not several per die like on the pellets. But I can come up with no sane reason why any factory would do that.
This is also the main reason I think the 1.75 mm filament shouldn't be more expensive. A single die can have one amount of 3mm holes or a larger amount of 1.75mm holes. There would be more spools needed but how I understand it the limiting factor is the pressure in the barrel anyway!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2011 01:57PM by ElectricMucus.
July 02, 2011 02:04PM
ElectricMucus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Niche Market" just means that there is less
> volume and thus a tremendous markup somewhere in
> the supply chain.

Yes.

> But except for merchants most of those companies
> who sell filaments also produce the plastic
> itself. At least they sell the pellets too.

I don't think so. The pellets come from big chemical companies. The filament comes from smaller companies who buy pellets and extrude them.

>
> What bugs me is as said before that the process
> isn't that different, both come from cylindrical
> extrusion.
> How I understand it a machine used to make pellets
> could also make filament (heck it even does, you
> just have to roll it up).
> The cooling process could be a little different or
> will likely to be more complicated but I don't see
> how that would affect prices to that extent.
> The power needed to make pellets or filaments is
> likely to be exactly the same.

I doubt pellets are made to anything like the same accuracy. Making accurate filament is more complicated and is done on a much smaller scale.

>
> I can come up with alot more different reason why
> current filament prices are simply usury.
> As it is now the filament is just a product not a
> resource. Not that this surprises me much...
>
> But: Right now every single online shop selling
> filament seems to get it from the same or a few
> sources. Everywhere you see the same damn black
> spool and the knowledge of where the factory is it
> is guarded like life depends on it.

If you buy it straight from the factory you need to buy 100's of kg at a time and presumably you get at the wholesale price. That is still far more than the cost of the pellets because you have to pay for the factory and they need to make a profit on the capital they put into buying the plant and the wages they pay.

>
> Several "manufacturers" just seem to be
> opportunistic third party resellers!

Well they are retailers, so they buy at wholesale price and mark it up to make a profit just like anything else. They are sinking capital into buying large lots and storing it for you. It is the same as any other retail product. Money is made all the way up the supply chain and the product is way more expensive than the raw materials.

>
> Alone the fact that the mendel-parts guys can
> offer 1.75mm pla in tiny package sizes at half the
> cost/weight of the big spool, 3mm prices elsewhere
> using a university partnership at a puny volume
> lets me rage.
> I feel exploited! angry smiley

Well its is a small new niche market so there is not enough competition to drive prices down yet. Companies that own extruders are never going to run them for peanuts though, they will use them to make something else like window frame extrusions, which must also have a massive markup on the raw plastic.

>
> Lets hope this will change in the future...
> hopefully some day the volume will be high enough
> that the factories jump in... Imho it would be
> already that way if people wouldn't be so damn
> greedy. (or stupid)

Think of any plastic product. It always cost far more than the raw plastic. The reason is people build factories to make products and they want a return on their investment. Why would they do it at cost?

The only way it will be dirt cheap is if you buy large quantities of granules and extrude them yourself.

Even paying the high prices for plastic that we do, the objects we make are still cheaper than you can buy in the shops.

July 02, 2011 02:13PM
But do we really need filament to be so accurate?
After all we melting it down again and re-extruding it anyway.

Surely a supplier will realise that they could knock out cheaper filament with lower tollerances and corner the printing market.
July 02, 2011 02:17PM
The extruded filament will vary in size proportionately with the feed unless you have a way of automatically adjusting the speed of the extruder motor based on the size of the feed. So for now, we need the diameter of the feed to be uniform. The question is how good does the tolerance need to be. Most of them are +/- 0.1 mm for a 3 mm filament or +/- 3.3%
July 02, 2011 02:26PM
How about a good old clock gauge measuring the filament as it goes in. I am sure i have seen digital gauges with RS232 out.

We could adjust feedrate based on measuring the pressure of the melt or I would expect the temp to also vary if the diameter changes,; Thinner = higher fatter=lower due to increased volume of material to be meleted. so we may be able to use that or a combination of both the above??
I am sure it is not insurmountable.

i'll put this on my 'To do' list as I will be looking at filament making anyway.
July 02, 2011 03:29PM

How about a good old clock gauge measuring the filament as it goes in. I am sure i have seen digital gauges with RS232 out.

We could adjust feedrate based on measuring the pressure of the melt

I think if we ever could get filaments who were made directly at the plastic plant we could certainly come up with something.
You are right. The only thing we would need to do is measure the pressure inside the extruder. This way the flow-rate would be independent of the filament. The extruder firmware wouldn't be as straight forward but I am certain that with the right code we could keep the pressure on whatever level we need. I think such a system would be even better than what we have now because even with our current filament we have tolerances which are uncompensated right now.

BTW:
Pellets are a major environmental hazard just google "nurdle" and be surprised.
and the current prices are in the range of fimo eye rolling smiley

I think the main reason why to make pellets at all is that they can be conveyed using pressurized air inside the plant. But I suspect that conveying filament using pulleys has its advantages also. The only problem I see is storage & shipping space...
This has to do with the whole large scale globalist economy anyway. If you don't need to transport over large distances you don't have this issue.

Maybe we could organize something using user groups and hackerspaces to bunle our buying power, or even a online presence for this purpose.
The thought is to have a project to organize storage spaces, transportation and acquisition in a decentralized manner in such a way that we could get the volume to buy resources directly from the source. We do not have to restrict it to plastic, this could be done with any need.

If we have a number of people on one region who want something it could be sufficient. Individuals and Companies could join providing some service, transport, resources, products and so on. I have though alot of this for some time and the thought always leads to "we need something like this..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2011 03:38PM by ElectricMucus.
July 02, 2011 04:12PM
Measuring the diameter has been on my todo list for ages, but the cost of plastic that is consistent diameter is not high enough to make it a priority for me at the moment.

Measuring the pressure is a non-starter because you need to measure the pressure at the nozzle, accurate to a few %, not the force on the filament because a large part of that is sliding the viscous plug at the transition zone. It will also depend on temperature, how close the nozzle is to the object and whether you are doing the outline or filling the last line of infill where it has to force the plastic in between boundaries. The pressure also gets higher due to the nozzle getting constricted by a build up of burnt plastic that I have to ream once a month. It will also depend on the exact composition of the plastic, which may vary just as much as the diameter for all I know. We are only talking a few % here.

The problem with measuring diameter is cheap plastic with inconsistent diameter is often oval as well, so you need to measure the area of an ellipse.

July 02, 2011 04:32PM
nophead Wrote:
> Measuring the pressure is a non-starter because
> you need to measure the pressure at the nozzle,
> accurate to a few %, not the force on the filament
> because a large part of that is sliding the
> viscous plug at the transition zone. It will also
> depend on temperature, how close the nozzle is to
> the object and whether you are doing the outline
> or filling the last line of infill where it has to
> force the plastic in between boundaries. The
> pressure also gets higher due to the nozzle
> getting constricted by a build up of burnt plastic
> that I have to ream once a month.

Of course, but we know how far the nozzle is supposed to be from the bottom layer, how fast we want to extrude, there is data on the viscosity and so on.
Certainly this will be a non-trivial control system which would need to be implemented in firmware but it would even bring benefit with our current plastic.

A lot of work yeah...

> It will also
> depend on the exact composition of the plastic,
> which may vary just as much as the diameter for
> all I know. We are only talking a few % here.
We could even calculate the variance if we get the exact composition of the plastic from the factory. So much %of abs /pla so much of this additive and so on, might be more complex than that but I doubt that this would be an issue anyway. We can certainly use different settings for different plastics.

> The problem with measuring diameter is cheap
> plastic with inconsistent diameter is often oval
> as well, so you need to measure the area of an
> ellipse.

Well we could try piezo transducers, "ultrasonic imaging" but we would need a very stable extrusion mechanism to get any data.

One more Note: These new "Playmais" PLA crafting toy pellets even cost less than half as much as the cheapest source of filament I know!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2011 05:39PM by ElectricMucus.
July 03, 2011 04:39AM
If you looked in to it I get the feeling the volume of plastic we use is minuscule compared to any other industry.

I'm doubting this will come down anytime soon as 3D printing itself is only really useful if you do 3D drawing as well. Not to mention the complication of running and building the machine. That leaves a small number of people able to do it in general. And then you have to be interested even if you know how. I'm probably the only person in my whole aria who has one of these machines. 1 in over 100000 people. So I don't see the niche market getting much bigger soon. Just think, how many people do you know who could build one of these or possesses the skills to design things for one?

Polycarbonate is an extrudable plastics one of the commercial machine uses it. But I can't get any. It's surprising the types of plastic we can get really. But that's because its used for welding.

If you want cheep, make a filament extruder that can recycle ABS. There's lots of Lego out there. I have considered making a heated cylinder you put the plastic in and simply push it out of the dye. If its big enough it will contain more than enough plastic for a spool. And you can attach a vacuum pump to it and suck the air out before you begin as well as when extruding. Then you just reload it and go again. Maybe an old engine cylinder will do.

OR make an extruder that uses pellets.

Make your Mendel twice as accurate.
[www.thingiverse.com]
July 04, 2011 12:02AM
ablainey Wrote:
> How about a good old clock gauge measuring the
> filament as it goes in. I am sure i have seen
> digital gauges with RS232 out.
>
> We could adjust feedrate based on measuring the
> pressure of the melt or I would expect the temp to
> also vary if the diameter changes,; Thinner =
> higher fatter=lower due to increased volume of
> material to be meleted. so we may be able to use
> that or a combination of both the above??
> I am sure it is not insurmountable.
>
> i'll put this on my 'To do' list as I will be
> looking at filament making anyway.

How about just keeping a tight tolerance on the filament as it' being extruded...

Adding complicated measuring equipment to (potentially) thousands of repraps can't possibly be better than spending a little more effort extruding tighter tolerance filament.

As for price, folks in the reprap community seem to forget we are mostly making these printers for fun. The people extruding the filament do it to feed themselves and their families, and not just so we can make fancy plastic shot glasses.
July 04, 2011 12:37AM
ElectricMucus Wrote:
> What bugs me is as said before that the process
> isn't that different, both come from cylindrical
> extrusion.
> How I understand it a machine used to make pellets
> could also make filament (heck it even does, you
> just have to roll it up).
> The cooling process could be a little different or
> will likely to be more complicated but I don't see
> how that would affect prices to that extent.
> The power needed to make pellets or filaments is
> likely to be exactly the same.

Since you seem to be completely unaware, most of the cost in extruding filament comes from the labor in spooling the filament and watching over the machine. Large spools are quite a bit cheaper than small spools since they don't need to be changed nearly as often. The diameter is also controlled by cool (and expensive) things like lasers, which are unnecessary when extruding pellets.

> I can come up with alot more different reason why
> current filament prices are simply usury.
> As it is now the filament is just a product not a
> resource. Not that this surprises me much...

> Alone the fact that the mendel-parts guys can
> offer 1.75mm pla in tiny package sizes at half the
> cost/weight of the big spool, 3mm prices elsewhere
> using a university partnership at a puny volume
> lets me rage.
> I feel exploited! angry smiley

Maybe you aren't looking at enough total volume? I'm sure Mendel parts buys a LOT more PLA than you wanted to...

>
> Lets hope this will change in the future...
> hopefully some day the volume will be high enough
> that the factories jump in... Imho it would be
> already that way if people wouldn't be so damn
> greedy. (or stupid)

Unless you are willing to step up (at great personal financial risk) and buy an extrusion line to pump out vast quantities of quality filament, it is in your best interests to keep a little humility.

> The only reason of why the filaments are so
> expensive I can come up with is if the filament is
> only extruded one piece per die and not several
> per die like on the pellets. But I can come up
> with no sane reason why any factory would do
> that.
> This is also the main reason I think the 1.75 mm
> filament shouldn't be more expensive. A single die
> can have one amount of 3mm holes or a larger
> amount of 1.75mm holes. There would be more spools
> needed but how I understand it the limiting factor
> is the pressure in the barrel anyway!

Pressure along the extrusion head is not strictly uniform when dealing with something as viscous as ABS/PLA. Adjusting the pressure so one of the extrusion holes works perfectly may not necessarily make another one do so, especially considering the tolerances necessary for good filament.

In fairness, I am not intimately involved with the filament manufacturing process. However, I have spent a great amount of time researching how the filament is made, and talked with a few manufacturers about what influences their prices the most.
July 04, 2011 05:13AM
Going back to your original point as to why pellets are cheaper than filament it is simply economies of scale.

Consider the steel industry. They make standard billets of steel, or pig iron bars. They can produce it cheaply because their process never has to change, it just runs and runs continously without changing. Its cut into managable sizes just for ease of transportation. They are not interested in what it is to become (a fridge / car panel or photocopier chassis) just producing the raw product in large quantities.

In the plastic industry they produce raw pellets, cheap and can be fed into all manner of machines and mixed if required to form new colours and mixes (they are often combined with glass fibre etc. to change the mechanical properties). They are easy and cheap to transport in bulk carriers. This is the cheapest form of material straight from the production vat, solidified and bagged.

Filament is akin to a semi finished product (like plastic window extrusions, or angle iron) it has had another company rework it. They are produced for specific industrial uses. In the case of 3mm filament it is used only for welding and reprapping and cannot be used easily by other industries.
July 04, 2011 08:38AM
You guys seem overly defensive on the plastic producers / suppliers...

I certainly realize that there are good reasons why we pay more for our filaments, than lets say some company making injection molded parts.
What concerns me is just the order of magnitude of how much more expensive it really is.

Andrew Diehl Wrote:
> > Alone the fact that the mendel-parts guys can
> > offer 1.75mm pla in tiny package sizes at half
> the
> > cost/weight of the big spool, 3mm prices
> elsewhere
> > using a university partnership at a puny volume
> > lets me rage.
> > I feel exploited! angry smiley
>
> Maybe you aren't looking at enough total volume?
> I'm sure Mendel parts buys a LOT more PLA than you
> wanted to...
I'm sure mendel parts doesn't sell their pla at cost either. I'll bet they are still making a fair amount of cash.

For the sake of argument lets compare our filament to a similar product sold as a resource for hobbyist purposes...
Fimo modeling mass costs 1.75€ per 56 gram package at single quantiles on ebay. This is the 31.25€ per kg.
A larger package with 350g costs 10.25€. This would be 29.28€ per kg
A set of 240 packages of fimo costs 329.82€ this is the equivalent of 24.47€ per kg.

Yet a "no name" modeling mass in a set of 10 a 62g costs 25.79€ per kg.

Furthermore I'm fairly certain Fimo has almost none industrial uses. Mind you this are all consumer prices.
Almost any Hobby material is cheaper than our filament, and does not even have the benefit of being derived directly from an industrial material using just one production process.

There are perfectly good reasons for the current filament prices, but it has just to do with the huge markups of the shops / wholesalers.
I have read somewhere on the board of something like 2€ per kg for a bag of 100kg abs...
If we compare that to the filament lets take 40€ per kg for our filament we arrive at a factor of 20.

If we consider 2 intermediate merchants / suppliers we have a factor of 4.4
with 3 a factor of 2.7
with 4 a factor of 2.1
with 5 a a markup of 82%
and with 6 a markup of 64% which is something you would consider sane, but not cheap.

I highly doubt there are that many steps involved till we get to our spools in the shops which only leaves triple digit markup values.

PS: There are cheaper suppliers for the filament but I'll bet there are cheaper suppliers for the pellets too winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 08:52AM by ElectricMucus.
VDX
July 04, 2011 08:45AM
... some people tried much cheaper sources (mostly from china), but the quality of the filament wasn't usefull, as the diameter was +/- 0.3 to 0.5mm off.

So the higher price is mostly caused by the expensive machines used for making 'good' filament winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 04, 2011 09:18AM
VDX Wrote:
> ... some people tried much cheaper sources (mostly
> from china), but the quality of the filament
> wasn't usefull, as the diameter was +/- 0.3 to
> 0.5mm off.
>
> So the higher price is mostly caused by the
> expensive machines used for making 'good' filament
> winking smiley

So lets consider this: The company who makes filament buys said bags of 100kg for 2€/kg.
lets say they make a 64% markup like everyone else (which is quite ridiculous for any other product btw but lets just for the sake of argument)
This company sells the spools to a wholesaler who buys them and sells them to our shops. Lets say they both make 64% markup.

(mind you this is just for storage, and labor)

This would bring us to 8.6€ / kg for the consumer product. So you are telling me the machine that makes filament does cost 31.39€ / per kg to run & maintain? (mind you taxes only have to be paid once! so we could only shave a few % of that number)
No way..

In fairness This is not quite correct though since the wholesaler & the shop would add their markup after the cost of the machine have been factored in.
so lets factor the markup out 3 times which gives us 7.12€ / kg for a 2kg material. This would be the cost the producer has to pay to run the machine alone since costs for labor, storage and his profit would already be included in the markup.

This still seems quite excessive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 09:38AM by ElectricMucus.
July 04, 2011 09:33AM
Your math is off a little. From GRRF PLA is ~30€/Kg - 8.6€/Kg leaves 21.40€/Kg.

One employee is required full time to run the machine.
For every run probably a Kg (or more) gets thrown away.
The machine is very expensive and must be paid for well within it's lifetime.
A large space is needed to house the machine (rent).

The price is high but not totally ridiculous.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 04, 2011 09:55AM
So if we assume cheaper prices would get 4.85€ /kg to run the machine alone (labor, storage and infrastructure costs are already in the markup)

which could seem about right. If you consider taxes it could be that the machine really does cost that much.
But that _still_ seems excessive if you consider the machine processes any reasonable big amount of material a day.
If it is only a tonne a day (seems reasonable thats 10 bags) this would be 145547 Euros each month, 1,7 million a year.
If you consider a lifetime of 10 years that would bring the machine to a value of 17 million euros.

NFW!
July 04, 2011 10:04AM
A company will always sell at the price they think maximises their profits. Why would anybody do anything else unless they were a charity? This is the world we live in.

The only motivation for reducing the price is if the sales volume increases by a greater ratio, so more overall profit is made.

Do many people with a reprap machine limit what they are making because of the price of the filament? Is anybody put off from building a machine by the price of running it? I doubt many are at the current stage of the project where only keen enthusiasts build these. So if a company chose to sell it cheaper they would probably make less money. Why would they do that?

Look at the price of Stratasis' plastic, now that really is prohibitively expensive. Look the price of 2D printer ink cartridges, even more so, and that is a mature mass consumer market with competition.

I once saw a packet of 5 tiny shelf pegs for £1.29 in B&Q. I had to ask if it was a mistake because I could not see how 5 tiny bits of injection moulded plastic be that much. Now I just print my own and they cost about 2p each, even with the plastic being £20 / Kg.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 10:09AM by nophead.

July 04, 2011 10:39AM
nophead Wrote:
> A company will always sell at the price they think
> maximises their profits. Why would anybody do
> anything else unless they were a charity? This is
> the world we live in.
>
> The only motivation for reducing the price is if
> the sales volume increases by a greater ratio, so
> more overall profit is made.

This makes sense.
But this also means that the profit margins are way over 100%, while everybody else is telling me something different.

btw: Industrial Extruders go around 25000$ on ebay us, there are more expensive ones by a factor of 12 though, but only a few. I think we can reasonable say that the cost of running the machine does not exceed the cost of the material.
July 04, 2011 11:46AM
ElectricMucus Wrote:
> So if we assume cheaper prices would get 4.85€
> /kg to run the machine alone (labor, storage and
> infrastructure costs are already in the markup)
>
> which could seem about right. If you consider
> taxes it could be that the machine really does
> cost that much.
> But that _still_ seems excessive if you consider
> the machine processes any reasonable big amount of
> material a day.
> If it is only a tonne a day (seems reasonable
> thats 10 bags) this would be 145547 Euros each
> month, 1,7 million a year.
> If you consider a lifetime of 10 years that would
> bring the machine to a value of 17 million euros.
>
> NFW!

I'm not defending manufacturers, just trying to get you to understand it is not as simple and inexpensive as you currently believe.

The machines do not produce anywhere near a ton per day. 5kg/hr for 1.75mm filament is more typical for an average line. Factor in labor, shipping, maintenance, waste, changeover time, taxes, customer support, utilities, rent, insurance...

Not to mention the machine will rarely be run 100% of the time.

I bet for the med/low volumes reprap is responsible for, just the overhead for the facility costs more than the raw materials.
July 04, 2011 12:17PM
You are also not considering that the ONLY other application for this is plastic welding. The volume is very little so there are probably only a handful of companies in the world that have bothered to get the tooling for there injection machines to make this stuff.

And if you have very little competition then why not make the money. You took the risk of getting the equipment. Unless your undercut for precisely the same quality of product what possible motivation is there to make less money.

And as so few places stock this stuff why would the shops that have bought the stock not sell it for as much as they could get.

Anybody who does business and has to live off that money would do that. I would as I am in business. I do make 100% profit on some things when I sell then because I can. I don't do retail really but when I do sell something new I make mony on it. And when I have done a job and sometimes my jobs mean I'm repairing things I know there are only a few people in the world that can do it why would I not want to be paid for that expertise. I doubt it is all so simple to make accurate filament. And requires some experience and skill to do it. And as there are so few places that make this stuff I doubt there are many people who have experience doing it.

My machine is a hobby that can possibly make me some pocket mony for more things for it.

Maybe one day if some of my ideas work out it will be much more useful (And self replicating) and I can make some serious mony with it. But till then its a fun hobby that I'm slightly obsessed with.

The filament is really not all that expensive. Go look at the commercial machines filament before making such rash assumptions about how greedy people are being. Quite frankly it's vary good fortune too have such amazing technology withing our reach.

Make your Mendel twice as accurate.
[www.thingiverse.com]
July 04, 2011 12:40PM
Why is popcorn so much more expensive than raw corn by the ton?

Why is peanut butter so much more expensive than raw peanuts?

etc etc etc

In the end plastic is a waste byproduct of the oil we use for fuel, until the 50s we where throwing the stuff out. It's cheap because it's manufacture is subsidized by the fuel in your favorite mode of transport. The Pellets are common to injection molding & extrusion, your getting the economies of scale from every injection molded item in the world on those pellets.

As far as plastic extrusion companies, there just are not that many in the world, because the demand is VERY low for
the plastics industry.

We are very picky on the formulation, we are very picky on the consistency of the plastic and, the the diameter of the plastic, etc etc.

You think they are scaming you go buy a 120k machine to extrude plastic, then hire 2 guys who make $20+ an hour to run it, and the other 3 people it will take at minim to keep them going. Then Buy plastic by the ton, pay the huge power bills, and see if your willing to buy bulk plastic for $3 a lb and sell it for $4 an lb to customers that use at most 5lb a month.

I will be your biggest customer till you get sane or run yourself out of bushiness-9* smiling smiley

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
July 04, 2011 02:12PM
spacexula Wrote:
> Why is popcorn so much more expensive than raw
> corn by the ton?
>
> Why is peanut butter so much more expensive than
> raw peanuts?
>
> etc etc etc

That is a very good point.
So do peanut butter & popcorn cost 20-figure the amount of their respective raw materials?

I think you all now the answer to that question... And peanut butter can be made with a decent grinder an popcorn machines cost about the same.

But that's not that big a problem, I think I've found a reasonable easy way to make a filament extrusion machine for home use.

I don't really believe statements that you'd have to measure the filament with lasers and so on...
Lets face it there are only five parameters relevant to the extrusion mechanism...

The behavior of the base material ( viscosity, melting point, glass transition temperature) which can be determined by try and error and worked with.
The pressure inside the barrel which could be controlled using a piezo pressure sensor and the rpm.
The temperature near the orifice which could be controlled using nichrome wire, and a thermistor.
The cooling of the filament which could be done with a fan & limiting the extrusion speed.
The torque of the spool which can be controlled with a geared dc motor.

[wasteforlife.org] It is not really necessary to have a extruder with a screw mechanism for low output machines, and that is exactly what I am planning to do.

I will get my mini cnc mill next week, and I will attempt to reproduce this mechanism. This can probably be all built without a lathe. All I have to do is implementing a probe mechanism for my mill to be able to make double sided mills. As it seems there is nothing in there what would require any high end tooling like a 4D lathe.
I am fairly certain that this can be done with under 500 euros worth of materials.

Screw them! (literally >grinning smiley<)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2011 02:35PM by ElectricMucus.
July 04, 2011 04:20PM
ElectricMucus Wrote:
> This makes sense.
> But this also means that the profit margins are
> way over 100%, while everybody else is telling me
> something different.
>
> btw: Industrial Extruders go around 25000$ on ebay
> us, there are more expensive ones by a factor of
> 12 though, but only a few. I think we can
> reasonable say that the cost of running the
> machine does not exceed the cost of the material.

Profit margins over 100% are a mathematical impossibility. That means you are making more money than you are selling the product for.

Really, any basic economics class will tell you why filament prices are the way they are.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
July 04, 2011 05:02PM
Sorry; maybe I've used the wrong term. It should have been 100% sell for the double price what you've bought. What ever that is.
I'm not all for nit-picking, I think it was clear what I meant. hot smiley
July 04, 2011 09:30PM
lol wow long topic.

there was a video about how they mad the stuff i just wish i could find it, it is allot more complex than one would think, on the video i saw they ran it through baths of water to help cool it down when it got to the right size, and they would always keep on measure its size.

so ya a person could buy cheaper stuff, but you will not know so much how good it is, or even what is is made of,

but one thing i would love to see the store post some time is how much they have sold each year, i am very curious to see the growth in the consumption of filament i do wonder if we are getting close to the seeing a price drop due to how much they are buying.

but ya its not cheap compared to its raw ingredients, but like so many other things i do, if you want good stuff you gotta pay for it,

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
VDX
July 05, 2011 01:43AM
... and by the way - calculated 'profit margins' are much bigger than 64%!

I knew some calculations for german companies, where 'simply trading' is calculated with 160% of the original price ... and for some consumer products i found even 300% rise!!!

When some years ago i developed some tools for microassembly i first calculated a microscope camera with 200 Euros costs and 450 to 600 Euros consumer price ... but our 'merchandizers' sold them for 1250 Euros!!!!

So price calculation is much more complex than simply add some percents to the costs ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 05, 2011 03:17AM
Just thinking about a few ideas.

What about having a dualhead printer. One extruder putting out the outline using good quality high tolerance filament. While the 2nd does the infill using cheaper stuff?

Workable? Worth the effort in cost saving? probably not, but it might be a solution if we staret making our own dodgy filament from recycled milk bottles.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login