Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Issue with NEMA 17 Stepper Motors and DRV8825 Drivers during Homing

Posted by Andico 
Issue with NEMA 17 Stepper Motors and DRV8825 Drivers during Homing
July 24, 2023 11:35AM
I am facing an issue with my NEMA 17 stepper motors that have a step angle of 0.9° per step. I am using DRV8825 drivers with a microstepping setting of 1/16. During the homing process of all axes, the X-axis gets stuck, and the motor loses steps as it tends to move too quickly. However, when I perform homing for the X-axis only, this problem does not occur. I have checked the current settings and ensured that there are no mechanical obstructions. Can anyone help me identify the possible causes of this issue and suggest potential solutions?

I have attached a video of the problem

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2023 11:53AM by Andico.
Attachments:
open | download - video5904372879901856122.mp4 (4.08 MB)
Re: Issue with NEMA 17 Stepper Motors and DRV8825 Drivers during Homing
July 31, 2023 07:25PM
It could be due to an electrical field, the motors have magnets in them. Try moving them or use a foil shield.
Re: Issue with NEMA 17 Stepper Motors and DRV8825 Drivers during Homing
August 01, 2023 09:54AM
Check jerk and acceleration settings. If either is too high the motors can miss steps. Also keep in mind using 0.9 degree motors requires 2x the step rate from the driver (compared to 1.8 degree steppers) to achieve the same speed. Watch the temperature of the driver chips. They can overheat easily if you're using tiny modules because the PCB is too small to dissipate much heat. When a driver overheats, it may shut itself down momentarily causing motors to start and stop.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login