Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller dosen't work with long cables

Posted by HyperionAl 
RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller dosen't work with long cables
September 06, 2023 02:42PM
Hi.

I bougth a RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller to replace my old RepRapDiscount Smart Controller that came with 3d printer Folger. Now that I've replaced it, everytime that I print something it goes to home in the x or y axis other times the impretion stops completely. I'm using long cables (more than 15 cm) to conect it to the controller board. I've hered that this type of display has some issues when there are coneted using long cables but I heve't found any solution
Re: RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller dosen't work with long cables
September 07, 2023 06:03PM
There really isn't a good solution, other than using shorter cables. The communications protocols used by the SD card reader and LCD display just don't work well with long cables.

You could build some sort of buffer or communication adapter to go at each end of the cable, but that would be quite a bit of work.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 09, 2023 04:50PM
I have many problems using long cables with my Discount Smart Display Controllers, I posted it under Hictop 3DP11 & Hictop 3DP12

The solution I came up with was to indivual cables with Painters tape then again with Aluminum Foil Duct Tape and grounding the foil on both ends.
Though I called the problem Electromagnetic interference (EMI) an solved using this method.

However the Problems my Hictop have were more dramatic.
While printing away would stop then move to one extreme or another pause for an indeterminate time then continue as if nothing happened.
you know the kind of problems that EMI causes

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
September 11, 2023 03:29AM
What controller does your Folger use? The display you have purchased requires 5V signal levels, so if the controller only provides 3.3V signal levels then the signal levels will be out of tolerance and very sensitive to ringing caused by longer cables.

If your controller board does provide 5V signal levels (e.g. it is one of the older generation of controllers using Atmega chips) then you may be able to use longer cables if you reduce the SPI frequency. Duet controllers running RepRapFirmware use 4MHz SPI frequency and we don't see any problems with cable lengths of 400mm. I expect your machine runs Marlin firmware and my guess is that Marlin has an option to set the display SPI frequency in one if its configuration header files.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 05, 2023 11:28AM
I also have the same problem and I haven't found any good solution.

Mini Militia App Lock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2023 09:40AM by ritawong30.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login