Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need for a Bowden extruder for a faithful servant.

Posted by leadinglights 
Need for a Bowden extruder for a faithful servant.
November 23, 2023 01:48PM
I need to replace the ungeared Bowden extruder on my Delta printer and am looking for recommendations. As I take pleasure in making as many parts for my printers as physically possible, commercially available extruders are not something I know about, so any recommendations are gratefully received.

The existing extruder has been in regular use since I printed it about 10 years ago. The only problem was when the jockey wheel carrier broke and a replacement had to be sawed, drilled, filed, and even chiseled from a block of nylon as both printers were casualties.

Now, as Miranda - that being the name of my Delta printer, is printing, the extruder is showing its age with clonking noises coming from the bearings and drive coupling. The need for speed; a bit of "can't be arsed to make one" and that Miranda deserves a bit of bling all come into it.

Mike
rq3
Re: Need for a Bowden extruder for a faithful servant.
November 24, 2023 11:45AM
Mike, it's not a bowden, but this is what I've been using on my delta for several years now.

[reprap.org]

Other threads in the tech forum have more details and thoughts.

Rip
November 24, 2023 01:32PM
Hi Rip. I have been looking at your Schnekenstruder for a while now, possibly intending to see what I could do with the design. Having said that, I am intent on, at least temporarily, pursuing my new philosophy of sloth, apathy, and the sofa. To that end I have sent to Amazon for a BZ 3D Titan and a Redex Ender 3 extruder: Maybe I will get into the whole "Why make when you and buy?" vibe.

Mike
November 25, 2023 02:27AM
My Kossel XL has used the same Bondtech BMG extruder for around 4 years. I've never had a problem with it. The E3D Titan that it replaced used to jam.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2023 02:28AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 25, 2023 05:35AM
Thank you dc42. As I am trying cheap clones for the moment I have ignored the clones of the Bondtech BMG as there are many bad reports. Clones of the Titan as well as the Redex seem well received.

Hell, if I am going to be lazy, I may as well be cheap as well.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login