Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

5 axis 3d printing with marlin firmware

Posted by leeviet 
5 axis 3d printing with marlin firmware
December 22, 2023 08:59AM
Hello everyone, I just started 3D printing not long ago and am using an arduino + Rams running Marlin firmware. Is there any way to print 5-axis 3D using Marlin and Arduino? If anyone has tried it, please let me know. Please guide. Can you provide documentation about it? Thank
Re: 5 axis 3d printing with marlin firmware
December 22, 2023 10:33AM
The RAMPS only has 5 stepper drivers...

so that is a max of 4 axis + extruder.

So the very first thing you will need to do is add another stepper driver module. Easy enough, since there are lots of IO pins.

Marlin also provides a 5 axis example configs for ramps (no extruder) example config So this is a good starting point

Main issue is that there is no slicers for 5 axis... you going to have to write your own...

There is also no standard as to what the other axis should do..

some want to rotate the build platform
some what to rotate the hotend
or something very different...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2023 10:50AM by Dust.
December 23, 2023 08:18AM
thanks for your suggestion, do you have any way or documentation on how to add external drivers for ramps running marlin
December 24, 2023 06:59AM
That is a rather novice like question for someone to ask when they started by asking about bleading edge 5 axis 3d printing..

Basic stepper drivers take 3 IO lines, step, direction and enable, you connect the new driver to any unused IO pins.

You then tell marlin about the new driver see the boards pins file Marlin/src/pins/ramps/pins_RAMPS.h for examples.

eg if you want to add a I axis you add

#define I_STEP_PIN {pin you plugged the driver step IO line in to}
#define I_DIR_PIN {pin you plugged the driver direction IO line in to}
#define I_ENABLE_PIN {pin you plugged the driver enable IO line in to}

For more advanced stepper drivers that use SPI or UART communication for their settings, you also need to add those pins.

This can be added to the Configuration.h, you should avoid editing pins files unless there is no alternative.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2023 07:22AM by Dust.
December 24, 2023 02:14PM
thank you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login