Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RUMBA MCU-Stepper Driver connection issue

Posted by SerialChiller 
RUMBA MCU-Stepper Driver connection issue
March 20, 2024 01:25PM
Hi folks,

I'm currently working on a project involving a large stepper motor (NEMA23) controlled by an external stepper driver (DQ860MA), with the control signals coming from a RUMBA board as MCU. I'm a full hobbyist with very little knowledge of E&E.
I've been grappling with the connections between these components, and despite my efforts, I find myself confused and unable to progress. While I believe all other components such as end stoppers, fans, and thermosensors are functioning properly, the stepper motors fail to respond when I send movement commands via G-code.
I'm convinced that once I establish the correct connection between the MCU and the stepper driver, my project will be successful. Could you lend a hand?

The DQ860MA stepper driver has six pins (DIR+, DIR-, PUL+, PUL-, ENB+, ENB-), while the MCU has 16 pins (ENA, MS1, MS2, MS3, RST, SLEEP, STEP, DIR, GND, VDD 1B, 1A, 2A, 2B, GND, VMOT, from 1 to 16 in order, see below).

1) This was my very first attempt. But no movement of the motor at all.

2) Tried common anode connection as per the following diagram (jumped all the plus and connect to VDD pin of MCU, then PUL- to STEP, DIR- to DIR, and ENA- to GND or ENA of MCU, but all my possible combination didn't give me a success.

3) The most recent trial, and it worked! But it works in one direction (CW) even though I typed negative movement (CCW).

In summary, I have a working connection (See number 3 combination), but it only moves in CW while I ordered CCW movement. Do you think I have a problem with the firmware setting instead? Any help would be super helpful.
Re: RUMBA MCU-Stepper Driver connection issue
March 20, 2024 08:40PM
best guess is your blue wire isnt good.
not in the correct places, or not making a good electrical connection
Re: RUMBA MCU-Stepper Driver connection issue
March 21, 2024 02:57AM
Do you think the wiring is correctly connected? I can try to replace the wire with a newly bought one. I'll get back to you if I have any success.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login