Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie.. Where to start for dummies with not much money

Posted by airliner art 
Newbie.. Where to start for dummies with not much money
July 09, 2011 01:42PM
Hi guys... I'm Art in Indiana.

I like to make paper models of about anything that catches my eye and I've designed a few in which I've shared freely for folks to enjoy....and I first found out about the RepRap Prusa Mendel on one of the paper Modeling forums (also a very helpful group of folks that I am very proud to be a part of), After reading about the 3D printer I'm just amazed about being able to make 3d items..this is so cool!

OK I have a few questions and without beating a dead dog in all humbleness I don't have alot of money to go around, I'm not a very technical person and I have hardly no tools powered or otherwise...just basic stuff most people would have...hammers, cressent wrenches ect.. I'm fully disabled and in poor physical condition (3 heart attacks and 8 stents later and on a fixed income with kids), I just don't know if building one of these is so expensive that it's going to be out of reach for me. I can afford a piece at a time I guess to build one over a couple years. I just need to know if realistically a RepRap is for someone like me. I really need to get by on the cheap. I'm just a hobbiest and not trying to make money with a 3d printer.

OK the questions...
1...I've seen a few items basic Prusa plastic build parts Ebay that are less expensive, (cast resin basic parts kits for example...will these cheaper parts work ok for the assembly?
2 ...Is the Software I would use to create 3d model hard to use?...I think I can figure out the basics in a skulpting program that has high polygon counts...does this matter?...or do I need to use the hard to learn cad programs?
3....How cheap can I put one of these together and still have a reliable unit that is easily maintained? Can some give me a $$$ amount?
4 ...If this is a good idea, what pieces do I buy first too build a little at a time...and does someone here sell used parts that are cheaper but work?
5... how big of parts can I make..for instance can I make a whole 1/24 model car body in one shot and can it be hollow?

Thanks so much for your time,...I am a very giving person and if there is any way I can help you guys too I will...

Art

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2011 02:16PM by airliner art.
Re: Newbie.. Where to start for dummies with not much money
July 09, 2011 02:22PM
> OK the questions...
> 1...I've seen a few items basic Prusa plastic
> build parts Ebay that are less expensive, (cast
> resin basic parts kits for example...will these
> cheaper parts work ok for the assembly?

I believe you are talking about a Clondel [reprap.org]
I don't have one but they look usable, but do require drilling. I believe some people are selling pre-drilled kits and if I was building a machine today on a budget I would go for it.

> 2 ...Is the Software I would use to create 3d
> model hard to use?...I think I can figure out the
> basics in a skuplting program that has high
> polygon counts...does this matter?...or do I need
> to use the hard to learn cad programs?

Any software capable of exporting: .stl .gts .obj models or a format that can be converted to one of the mentioned formats is suitable for creating models. But the slicing software is where most people have a hard time and by the sounds of it would be your hurdle as well. Read up on skeinforge and or download it. Don't be to overwhelmed by its daunting appearance, it does a lot more than we need and most of the buttons aren't used.

> 3....How cheap can I put one of these together and
> still have a reliable unit that is easily
> maintained? Can some give me a $$$ amount?

The most expensive parts are the electronics and motors. The cheapest is around $300 for prebuilt electronics and $100 for motors. Cheaper for kits that require soldering.

> 4 ...If this is a good idea what pieces do I buy
> first...and does someone here sell used parts that
> are cheaper but work?

I don't think you will find used unless its entire machine.

> 5... how big of parts can I make..for instance can
> I make a whole 1/24 model car body in one shot and
> can it be hollow?

8" x 8" x 4+" and hollow objects require support which uses extra material

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
July 09, 2011 11:34PM
Hi Art.

I think you could be my first test subject. Check out my latest creation on Thingiverse.

Building a RepRap without using printed plastic parts is known as RepStraping. My solution mimics the Prusa design, which has a lot fewer parts than the standard Mendel, but uses no plastic parts for the frame. As for tools, you only need a hack saw, channel-lock pliers, and a couple of wrenches. I'll be putting up details on the wiki soon.

I estimate that the cost of building a frame costs about $50.00 using this method. For stepper motors, check out Tony's Auctions on eBay. He's a really great guy, and his prices are very low on sets of stepper motors.
July 10, 2011 09:24AM
Thanks so much for the info guys and taking the time out of your day to write!!!!
This stuff is encouraging!!.... and I really appreciate the tips!

jcabrer I checked out Tony's auctions and you are right.... his prices are excellent on stepper motors...I noticed he is selling a lot of 5...I just don't know how to buy...do they all need to match identically as a set or what?...being motor illiterate I don't want to buy and then find out later if they don't match or whatever.....any info on getting the right motors would be a great help. I also need to know if I buy the ones with gears already on the shafts..

smiling bouncing smiley You gained your first guinia pig jcabrer...lol.. I'm going with your design...do you have a complete set of plans in the making? Believe me I'm going to lean on your knowledge if you want a teachable student......

Thanks again guys Art

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2011 09:36AM by airliner art.
July 10, 2011 11:39AM
Tony's motors are always matched up. He has hundreds of each one. I buy from him locally because he's just a couple of miles away, and it is impressive to see all the goodies. I've also been testing out some of the gear sets he has, to see if they have a use in repraps. I don't think he sells those yet. He might be waiting to hear back from me.
July 10, 2011 12:45PM
Thank you Jcabrer, I have a prusa in the works and was only missing motors and did not want to spend a lot of money on them (my wife would kill me).

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
July 16, 2011 12:52PM
I myself have not much money to go around so I have been building mine over long term. From the one I have built I can tell you that you could build pretty much all the frame parts out of scrap wood and nails and screws. You would need some proper bearings to get a smooth run for the printer. Over months you could then save up for a complete circuit board and extruder but these also could be built from scrap parts. One advantage you have is most of the 3D printer shops are in the states so you don't have high shipping costs like myself. I have gone for buying all the parts from round the world so for me its a bit at a time.

In terms of print area and size of objects I'm sort of still trying to get to terms of what the actual restrictions are. I'm fully aware that the mendel is built to a certain size with studding but I can't see why the studding can not be longer resulting in a bigger print area. It maybe a software issue but then you wouldn't need the endstops if it was just a software issue.

Michael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login